Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Heart of the Highland Wolf by Terry Spear



Heart of the Highland Wolf by Terry Spear
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Full Length (383 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Xeranthemum
It’s a matter of pride…

Modern day werewolf laird Ian MacNeill reluctantly allows a film production company to use his castle, but he knows his secretive clan has a big problem when a beautiful red werewolf female who insists she’s working on the film keeps showing up in the wrong places… and a matter of pleasure…

Julia Wildthorn is not who she says she is—she’s sneaking into Argent Castle to steal an ancient relic for her grandfather and to do research for her next werewolf romance novel. When she catches a glimpse of Ian, she realizes he’s the perfect hero…

What if a Highland warrior of old could fight with swords just like they used to but in modern times and women could ogle all they wanted?

Of course, I’m getting ahead of myself. Those kilted action heroes do their thing in this story and it was exciting and full of daring do, and I got a kick out of how Ms. Spear wrote it with such passion and intensity. It’s what lead up to those well written and high powered few chapters that made it all worthwhile.

Julia is the heroine and she’s delightful. In fact I had a ton of fun reading her point of view, mostly because she’s a romance writer. What made it so fun? Ms. Spear had the heroine experiencing a scene, a place or dialogue and she’d zone out into writer land and start plotting in her head. I never knew when she’d do it or where she’d take it but it never failed to get me to smile or chuckle. Julia is unusual for a wolf and she has a few secrets. I adored that fact that the author had the heroine, when the time was right; communicating when things needed to be said to the person it needed to be said to. The author refused to fall into that old tired out ploy and rut of angst filled suspicions and mistrust. Sure some was there, it had to be but it was in a natural amount that I could accept and believe in. It wasn’t the sole focus of the story or the conflict and I really appreciated that. I like Julia’s sense of adventure, her stubbornness and her enthusiasm for all things Ian.

Ian is the hero and, wow, did Ms. Spear create a man to drool over. He shoulders a lot of responsibility yet is fair and hard working. He also was like a laser, zeroed in on Julia and his pursuit was delicious and quite swoon inspiring. When she wasn’t’ driving him nuts, that is. Ms. Spear did a wonderful job of describing Ian in all his emotional states, from anger to lust, from wariness to ardent alpha – there was nothing about Ian that I didn’t enjoy. And when growl came to bite, Ian was everything a woman needs in a man and more. Plus, a reader gets to enjoy some rollicking good descriptions of Highlanders and their kilted plaids. That pulled giggles from me as well as a few wishful sighs.

What I didn’t expect was the helpful cold in the tunnel. That was a really cool addition. Not to mention the fact that Ian and clan have been around for a long time and that presented some rather fascinating discussions and dialogue for readers to enjoy and ponder. And I have to wonder about his cousin. Can someone like Flynn ever have a happily ever after? Only readers will know why that is such a challenge. But if a man is judged by his actions it makes me wonder if Ms. Spear might have something up her sleeve for his character sometime in the future. Sure, Ian’s brothers all rocked and were developed enough to get me curious about how’d they’d fair in future books. Ms. Spear seems to be good at hooking future readers with the personalities and quirks of her characters and I couldn’t be happier.

The secondary characters sure helped give the environment solid ground for the hero and heroine to work with. Maria is Julia’s best friend and she’s a hot ticket. I wonder who is going to ruffle her fur in the future. I like Ian’s other family members although I really wished I could have met Julia’s. I was sort of hoping that her family would have actually met Ian’s at some point but I guess it wasn’t relevant to the story line. Everyone who showed up had a role to play in the tale and the writing was awesome.

Heart of the Highland Wolf embraces the best of what romance has to offer with characters that jump off the pages and into a reader’s heart. The writing is crisp, fast paced with dialogue that brings to life the personalities and quirks of its main players. There is humor, drama and a bit of a mystery to spice up the reading experience. When Ian and Julia finally consummate their relationship it’s spirited, enthusiastic and though very spicy, also incredibly romantic, just what a reader expects from the talented Ms. Spear.

I absolutely recommend Heart of the Highland Wolf to new and old fans of Ms. Spear. The author has once again delivered a high powered romance that satisfies on every level. It entertained me and made the hours fly. I can’t think of a better way to spend my time; except maybe to find my own personal Ian.

No comments: