Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Ex-Girlfriends United by Matt Dunn



Ex-Girlfriends United by Matt Dunn
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full Length (328 pgs)
Heat Level: Sensual
Rating: 4 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Ever wish you could let the world know just what you think of your ex?

Thanks to SlateYourDate.com, Dan Davis has discovered that long after he's dumped them, ex- after ex-girlfriend is dumping on him-all over the Internet. And it's ruining his dating life.

Faced with the prospect of a lifetime of singledom, Dan must track down his many exes in order to put things right. Along the way, he discovers he has much to learn about himself. Particularly when he meets up again with Polly-and realizes he wants her back. Can Dan convince his former love he's changed? Can his friend Ed convince him he needs to change in the first place? And can the two friends use their newfound knowledge to help other men in the same boat?

Love is beautiful, unless its tainted by the hurt of a woman scorned.

I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when I took this book for review. A guy, being ridiculed by the women in his past--and online. Hmm. And it's written by a man. Now my interest was really snagged, so I read the book. I have to admit, there were lots of times when I laughed by behind off. Mr. Dunn has a way of making the reader really see into the mind of the man and understanding a little of why things happen (or why they don't). I couldn't put the book down. I needed to see what would happen with Dan and Ed.

I did have a few quibbles. The book is told from the best friend's point of view--Ed. This wasn't necesarily bad, but it's a lot to get in the first person. Also, it's hard to really understand what Dan is thinking because we're in Ed's mind. We see things how Dan does, but from the innerworkings of Ed. And the story is really Dan's journey, so I wished we could be in his head.

Another thing that wasn't bad, but may hinder readers, is that this isn't a traditional happily ever after. Sure, things work out, but not in the manner I'd expected. I kind of liked it because it was more realistic, but those wanting a happy, tied in a bow ending may not be satisfied.

I liked following Ed and Dan on the journey to see why relationships in their past had failed. It was like reading about guy friends of mine. A few laughs, a few moments where I had to brush back a tear, and a better understanding that love isn't always perfect or what we think.

Grab a copy of Ex-Girlfriends United. You won't want to miss it.

No comments: