Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Written in Blood by Elaina Lee

Written in Blood by Elaina Lee
Publisher: Noble Romance Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Full Length (257 pages)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 5 books
Reviewed by Lotus

Lyndi Crisdean is assigned one of the hardest cases in her career as a defense attorney. A serial murder case. Investigating is Alek Trevian, the lead investigator for the district attorney, and a handsome and supremely dangerous man. Lyndi finds herself in over her head when she chooses desire for Alek over common sense. If they're caught, Lyndi will lose everything she's worked for. Circumstances beyond her control pull her toward Alek, for he turns out to be the only one who can help when threats start to mount against her.

Lyndi may be the key Alek needs to bring down a murderous cult running loose in his city. When her beach house is broken into and a man begins to tail Lyndi, Alek can't help but reason Lyndi may be next on the cult's hitlist. The question is, will he discover the identity of the cult, keep her safe, and still win the case against the serial killer she's defending, all while losing a battle against the strong, untamable desire she alone ignites within him?

I read romance for tingles and suspense for a thrill. I had never met a book that could give me both.

Now I have.

The publisher’s rating for this book is sensual, but I gave it a spicy because the sex scenes will make you sweat like you just chomped on a mouthful of jalapeƱo peppers. Still, neither rating quite covers the sexual tension or the sizzling chemistry which truly make this book something special.

Originally, I thought Lyndi—the workaholic defense lawyer—would be one of those women who is so driven by the need to prove herself, she has no time for personal lives or sex. I avoid those stories; I’m always more frustrated than the hero by the time he finally gets her in the sack. And then I want him to get rid of her so he doesn’t have to suffer her uptight…bearing, anymore. But the author surprised me with her fresh take on the professional woman.

So naturally, in a book with a woman who doesn’t abhor getting naked, you’d expect her to jump in the sack by page two. And this is what drew me in the most. Lyndi wasn’t a prude and she wasn’t promiscuous. She was right in the middle—a place I could comfortably relate to.

Alek, the hero, couldn’t have been a better alpha male. He had all the qualities I love in a strong, intelligent hero. Then the twist. He has more issues than she does. He needs her help, and though it takes some time, he finally asks for it.

As for the plot, don’t get me started. I don’t know how to explain how the final scenes had me cursing the author and wanting to hug her all at once. The slow build of the threats around them, so subtle at first you can almost dismiss them, until you realize it’s too late…

I would not only recommend this book to everyone I know, but I plan to read it again and drive all my friends insane until they read it too.


Elaina Lee said...

OMG!!! I have THE biggest grin on my face right now! Thank you so, so, so much, Lotus, for this amazing review!

Jadette Paige said...

Awesome book! Well deserved review. It's so wonderful to find a review that fits the book. I will be on the look out for more of Elaina's books.

Cari Silverwood said...

This is such a great review! I know Elaina but didn't think this was my sort of book but now I'm going to go out and buy it! I'll be watching for the next installment too.
Fantasticfabulous - couldn't happen to a nicer author!