Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Standing on the Edge of Goodbye by Mary Eason



Standing on the Edge of Goodbye by Mary Eason
Publisher: White Rose Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Inspirational
Length: Short Story (125 pgs)
Heat Level: Sweet
Rating: 4.5 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Matt Stevens is finished with life. Grieving the death of his son, Matt withdraws from humanity, sequestering himself in a mountain cabin far from the reaches of anything human-anything that may remind him of the life he can no longer have...that is until Kate Alexander arrives on his doorstep and begins to strip away the bitterness he carries in his heart.

Running from an abusive ex-husband who tried to murder her, Kate Alexander's life is turned upside-down. Learning of her grandmother's death-the only woman who ever believed in her-is almost Kate's complete undoing, especially when the devastating news comes from a man so lacking in human emotion he may as well be a robot. Yet, Kate is drawn to Matt Stevens in a way she's never before experienced. Could there be more to this unlikely friend of her Grandmother's-something beyond the cold surface he presents to the world?

Imagine you’re in a jam. You don’t see many ways out and your one link to family is gone. Do you reach out to the folks you knew as a child or shut yourself off from the world.

That’s the question in Standing on the Edge of Goodbye.

I have to admit as I read this story, I had the song of the same title running through my head. It actually made a pretty neat little soundtrack to the tale. Not sure if the author intended that, but it worked. Ms. Eason writes in such a fluid manner, it was easy to let the story take me away for a while. I felt like I was right there with Kate and Matt, trying to figure out what God wanted from them.

If I had any complaints, it was something that actually made the story work for me. Matt’s character has been through a terrible time. He’s very shuttered. That protectiveness about him made me want to conk him on the head more than once, but it also showed he was human. Who hasn’t been in a situation where we aren’t sure what we want? I’ve been there lots of times. So as much as he infuriated me, I understood where he was coming from.

Kate was a little harder to understand. She’s been through her own mini maelstrom, so I could identify with her tendency to not trust. She’s got hopes, dreams and a little one to prepare for. How exciting! I liked that she took life by the horns, but I almost wished she’d have done that with Matt. Still, I loved the twists and turns their story took and yes, I was glued to my seat wanting to know what would happen next.

If you want a book that proves there really are angels among us, then you need to read Standing on the Edge of Goodbye. I laughed, I cried, and I wanted more.

No comments: