Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Share Your Soul by Rachel Carrington

Share Your Soul by Rachel Carrington
A Run Devil Run Novella
Publisher: Decadent Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Short Story (79 Pages)
Heat Level: Sensual
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Holly

On the fifth anniversary of my murder, I took action against inaction. I set out to find what I wanted the most—revenge. Others warned me that the whole project could be risky, but getting even with my killer husband seemed worth the danger. Turned out, I made an appointment with the Angel of Death. Perfect.

I’ve always had a weak spot for bad-boy, rocker types but Gabriel the bad-boy angel surpassed my fantasies. He looked like Bon Jovi in his long hair days, which destroyed my ability to concentrate. Plus, he claimed he could help me only if I trusted him. The last man I put my faith in shot a bullet through my heart. How the heck could I trust the Angel of Death?

So anyway, I told Gabriel that I needed retribution before I could move on. He granted me three days in a mortal body to gain closure. Great offer except for one thing—my dear husband had already been found not guilty so he couldn’t be tried again. No hope of ever putting him behind bars…at least not for shooting me. I also had no idea where the loser had dumped my body. How was I supposed to get vengeance?

After that, things got really complicated. I had to find dirt on my jerk of a husband while placing my faith in the Angel of Death and ignoring the forbidden things he did to my phantom heart and loaner body. Yeah, the whole situation sounded weird to me, too, but what was a misplaced spirit to do except roll with it?

Five years ago, Olivia Channing’s husband Blake killed her. She has wanted revenge ever since. Two years ago, he was acquitted of the crime, because her body was never found. After five years, Olivia decides she has to do something, anything, to bring him to justice, but double jeopardy applies in this case. Olivia goes to the Angel of Death for help, and finds that he is the most gorgeous male she has ever seen: tall, dark and dangerous to her senses. She may be dead, but he still makes her squirm.

When he tells her he will help her, but she will only have three days, she agrees. Gabriel (no not that one) gives Olivia a new body, and she and Gabriel start looking for her body. But as the time passes, it becomes less revenge for her death, and more about how she has come to feel about Gabriel. When he points out that there can be nothing between them, she can’t accept that. Can these two find a way to stay together after the resolution of Olivia’s problem? Can they stop Blake from killing again? What is the mysterious secret Gabriel alludes to?

Author Rachel Carrington grabbed my attention with the first line of chapter one-“ Five years ago today my husband killed me.” You have to love an attention grabber like that! I jumped into this one and never looked back. This is my first experience with Ms Carrington’s work, but after reading this, I will definitely be looking for more. The characters are well written, and you can’t help but hope for the best for Olivia, even if she is just a spirit at the beginning. There is plenty of suspense in this, and the romance is delicious.

Olivia wants her husband to pay for killing her. She is determined and smart, but needs some help. I enjoyed watching her slowly become a less vengeful character, as she grows into her attraction to Gabriel. She starts out bitter, but realizes by the end of the book that revenge won’t solve anything.

Gabriel is the strong, tall dark and gorgeous Angel of Death, a being who ushers souls to the other side, but only the willing. In all his years he has never once met a spirit that touched him like Olivia does. He tries to be strong enough to resist her, but breaks in the end, falling for her in spite of it all.

I enjoyed watching these two fall in love. It was a gentle but passionate glide into romance. The most poignant statement in the story occurs after Gabriel and Olivia realize how they feel. Gabriel makes the statement that thing can’t happen between them because “she can’t stay. And he can’t go.” This is a delicious story of love and passion, and second chances. I recommend this to all who like unusual love stories.


Rachel Carrington said...


Thank you for reviewing my book. I'm so glad you liked it, and I appreciate the kind words!

Rachel Carrington

Decadent Publishing said...

What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to read it. :-)

Heather Bennett
Executive Editor
Decadent Publishing