Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Expecting Royal Twins! by Melissa McClone

Expecting Royal Twins! by Melissa McClone
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full (192 pgs)
Heat Level: Spicy
Rating: 4.5 Books
Review by: Poppy

Suddenly a Princess...

It's not every day that a tall, dark, handsome prince strides into your workshop and announces he's your husband! Mechanic Izzy nearly drops her wrench. Never in her wildest dreams did she imagine that she'd become a princess!

Independent Izzy struggles with exchanging her oil-stained overalls for silken gowns, let alone becoming responsible for an entire country! Yet her attraction to Prince Niko tempts her further into the fairy tale. And then two small surprises change all the rules of the game....

Fun and unexpected, Expecting Royal Twins! was a breath of fresh air. Ms. McClone cleverly mixed a stuffy, honorable, duty bound prince with a free-spirited American tomboy to create one of the best Harlequin Romances I’ve read.

Prince Niko has plans for his kingdom and they don’t include a rough and tumble, grease monkey for a queen, even if she does clean up nice. Nope, Niko is going to marry a real princess, one who’s been groomed for the job since birth and knows how to act and which fork to use. He even has her all picked out. Problem is, it turns out he’s already married to the wrong woman, has been since he was barely out of diapers.

When a fancy car with even fancier people pulls up in front of the auto shop where Izzy works, she’s not sure what to make of it. I laughed out loud when she asks if she’s being punk’d... so American and a perfect foil for the very proper prince.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I opened this book – the general idea is familiar, so would the author have a unique twist? She did! Both the prince and Izzy want an annulment, though there is an undercurrent of attraction between them. As they work toward that end, Izzy becomes friends with Niko’s fiancĂ©e, “Jules”, something I appreciated. No evil woman working to break up the happy couple here.

Though some of the occurrences were expected (Izzy struggles to walk in high heels, for instance, and isn’t sure how to behave during state dinners), but what I really appreciated was how she remained true to herself no matter what happened. Niko may have tried to change Izzy into the princess he thinks she should be, but Izzy knows what she wants and goes for it.

The slow fall into love between these two characters was equally enjoyable. I loved the frissions of tension that ran through the first two thirds of the book, the awareness they had but refused to acknowledge. Additionally, the secondary characters were just as strong as our protagonists. For a story of relatively few pages, I was amazed that I felt no lack in the plot or characters. I didn’t feel as though I was being rushed through or that any of the characters, even the most minor. wasn’t fully fleshed out. I was utterly wrapped up in their lives; I worried, laughed, loved, smiled and cried with them.

Fact is, I read this book with a smile on my face the entire time. It was unexpected and lovely. The author’s descriptions felt realistic and true to the plot. The characters behaved how they should, motivations were clear and I felt as though I traveled to the Balkans with Izzy. The story and the writing satisfied every part of me, both technically and romantically. And I turned the last page with a happy and contented sigh ... and with the hope that Ms. McClone gives Jules her owns story.

If you’re looking for a romance that has everything, grab yourself a copy of Expecting Royal Twins!. I have every expectation you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.


1 comment:

Melissa McClone said...

Thank you so much for the review! I'm grinning ear-to-ear. And Jules does get a story of her own. It'll be out in July, A Not-So-Perfect Princess. Thanks again for taking the time to review my book!