Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Ashley Drake, Zombie Hunter: A Plague on All Houses by Dana Fredsti



Ashley Drake, Zombie Hunter: A Plague on All Houses by Dana Fredsti
Publisher: Ravenous Romance
Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Paranormal (Urban)
Length: Full Length (339 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Poppy

Ashley Drake is just a pretty northern California co-ed with a love/hate crush on the strong-jawed, golden-haired Gabriel, her frustratingly handsome teaching assistant. But neither are what they appear to be...

In the space of one day the world has gone topsy-turvy. A viral outbreak is bringing the dead to life. Ashley discovers strength and abilities she never dreamed she had when she becomes drawn into the struggle against the walking dead as part of an elite zombie hunting unit. Her new squad leader? Gabriel, who is shouldering more than a few secrets of his own. Between fighting with zombies and fighting with Gabriel, Ashley is about to learn the true meaning of drop-dead gorgeous.

I originally chose this book because I’d seen evidence of the author’s snarky, warped sense of humor – something I greatly appreciate. I had no idea I’d selected a book that, while certainly full of its share of warped humor, also had edge-of-your-seat excitement and depth of emotion.

I admit, too, that I’m not your typical zombie hunter / urban fantasy reader. I don’t know if I’ll start grabbing more of these types of books or not, but I do know that Dana Fredsti is now on my list of “must read” authors.

Ashley Drake is just your typical college student: struggling through classes, living on coffee and sparring with her arch-nemesis, the teacher’s assistant, Gabriel. All this changes when she and her boyfriend are attacked by zombies while out on a date. While the boyfriend alternately freaked out and screamed like a girl or did odd things like trying to collect the picnic gear, Ashley remained remarkably level-headed despite these beings from some B movie trying to tear them limb-from-limb.

When they’re rescued by persons unknown, Ashley loses consciousness only to awaken some time later to an entirely different environment than she’s ever known. Sure, it resembles some kind of hospital, but these people wear Hazmat suits and carry large poles with hooks on the ends. And she discovers that she is one of the incredibly low percentage of people who can survive being bitten by a zombie; a Wild Card.

Thus begins Ashley’s foray into zombie hunting.

I won’t go into any more story details, but I will say that I could NOT stop reading this book. It kept me up late, I read it the moment my eyes were opened. Work suffered, I barely spoke to my family; I had to know what happened.

Her relationship with the very hot, if cranky, Gabriel is one that will satisfy any romantic heart, but this isn’t a romance story. It’s an action story with romantic elements that’s so well written that it satisfied me on every level.

If you enjoy snarky humor, lots of zombies (gore and all), plenty of edge-of-your seat action and a heart-melting romance then I heartily recommend this book. I can not wait until there’s a sequel (and although the story is well wrapped up in the book, there is clearly meant to be more). Get yourself a copy now! Don’t wait another minute. But make sure you’ve given yourself time to read it, because you aren’t going to want to put it down.

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

Wow. Thank you so much. You just made my 2011 with this review!

Jud said...

Wow! Now that's what I call an amazing review. It made me rush to the publisher's site and buy the book on impulse.

I'm not a zombie genre fan but...

Wow!