Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wake of the Siren by Nancy O’Berry

Wake of the Siren by Nancy O’Berry
Publisher: Red Rose Publishing
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Short Story (122 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 2.5 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Bound by necessity, through an arranged marriage, Nadine, King Neptune’s youngest daughter, is banished from court. Hoping to regain her freedom, Nadine uses her wiles to convince her husband to release her from her vows.

Oceanus, King Neptune’s Grand Inquisitor is not what he appears. Bewitched by the Sea Hag when he refused her offer of love, his only chance to regain his true appearance is to find a beautiful mermaid to fall in love with him, bestowing love’s first kiss.

Can Oceanus convince Nadine to fall in love with him or will she reject his withered appearance dooming him to a lonely life beneath the sea?

Scorned by life and the actions of her sister, this mermaid is out for blood. He’s not much to look at, but he’s the Grand Inquisitor and he’s ready to help her out of the jam. They just have to learn to like each other.

I’ve never read a book by Nancy O’Berry, but when I saw this one available, I jumped at the opportunity. Ms. O’Berry has a way with words that drew me in immediately. The characters are interesting and the plot is engaging. I felt like I was right there in the great deep blue learning to love and trust right alongside them.

This story isn’t without a few stumbling blocks, but I still enjoyed myself. A few editing errors tripped me up once or twice, wrong word usage (weight instead of wait, for instance) and slowed the pace a bit. There were also a few unanswered questions I had as I read, and some loose ends that weren't tied up and it's a shame the editing hadn't been stronger, because that's what dropping my rating most. Still, the characters nabbed me from page one and kept me engaged to the point I couldn’t stop reading.

Nadine originally comes off as a bit stand-offish, but the more I learned about her, the more I liked her. She’d been through a nasty time prior to the story and is consumed with anger. Although I might not have agreed with how she handled her frustration and her desperation, I understood and wanted to see her succeed. I loved reading her journey and how she worked through her issues was really great.

Oceanus was a conundrum to me from the start. He’s got lots of issues, just like Nadine, but man, is this guy confused. I realize why he’s so mixed up. His devotion to the love of his life is beautiful and a little sad. There were moments when I really didn’t like him or his actions, but the rationale behind them is valid—he’s fulfilling a curse. I can’t say I blame him for going along because he really has no choice.

The author does a fantastic take on the Beauty and the Beast theme—learning to love despite the odds against it. I enjoyed the book and am on the hunt for more from this author.

If you want a book that’s high on emotion and characters, then you need to read Wake of the Siren.

No comments: