Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, December 17, 2010

McCormick’s Prayer by Jo Barrett

McCormick’s Prayer by Jo Barrett
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Length: Short Story (68 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 4 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Drake McCormick prays for nothing but peace, the final sleep, and yet knows his prayers will go unanswered as he is cursed to walk the crumbling halls of his castle with one lone companion, a small boy named Collin. Never allowed to venture beyond the ruins, for if they so much as dare to cross the threshold they will be cast into the deepest darkest depths of Hell, they watch the world pass them by, unseen and unheard by the infrequent visitors to his hall.

Until her.

The beauty and mystery of the Scottish Highlands pulls Mary Beth to its shores with the promise of a new beginning, a new way of life. But add one sexy Scottish ghost and his endearing companion, and her new life is like nothing she could ever have predicted.

He’s as hot as a romance cover model, but he’s a ghost. She’s looking for somewhere to call home and to belong. They might be what the other needs...if they are willing to trust and have a little faith.

I must say I enjoyed this short little offering from Ms. Barrett. I’m not familiar with her work, but I will definitely be on the lookout for more. The characters all but jumped off the page and I found myself lost in the world the author has created. A perfect bit of escapism for a chilly day. The writing is crisp and moved along nicely.

Drake and Collie are such a pair. I loved the interplay between them. Drake would do anything to keep the boy safe even though they are both ghosts. It was sweet to read about them. Their confusion with the modern world had me in quiet stitches. I never realized what the world might be like experiencing things like blue jeans for the first time, or driving a car. Ms. Barrett’s characters and their circumstances put things into perspective for me. I liked it.

Mary Beth had me a little off guard. I enjoyed the tension between her and Drake. She was a very independent and kind woman—just the type he needed. She did have her moments where I wasn’t sure what she was thinking and why she was so hard on herself. But, with that said, I could relate. Imagine finding the man of your dreams and having him in the same house. It’s a lot to think about. Now imagine you’re self conscious. It’s easy to see why she might freak out a little. I understood, but wanted to see her have a tick more backbone with him. Oh, and I wanted to know how she managed to have a coherent conversation with him as he toyed with her chest. However she did it, she’s got talent and kudos to her.

Still, this was a great little read. There were lots of plot twists I didn’t see coming and they were all great. Just the right measure of whimsy and romance.

If you want a book that’s guaranteed to stick with you after the last page, then you need to read McCormick’s Prayer. I give it 4 books.

No comments: