Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Wolf Fever by Terry Spear



Wolf Fever by Terry Spear
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Full Length (399 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Xeranthemum




Fate turned nurse Carol Woods into a wolf, but she refuses to let being a lupus garou define her life. Ordered by her pack leader to find a mate and commit to shifting, there is only one gray wolf that catches Carol's interest; but Chaz McKinley makes it very clear that unless she's willing to accept what she is, he wants nothing to do with her. When a virus outbreak leaves local pack members trapped in their wolf form, will Chaz and Carol learn to trust each other before it's too late for the pack and their one chance at true love?

Who ever heard of biological warfare against werewolves actually succeeding? This is another great story from the mind of Ms. Spear sure to amaze and intrigue readers of her wonderful series; and even garner new fans.

Carol Wood isn’t a pushover. The story revolves around a young woman who had dreams and goals and finds herself now a werewolf. She doesn’t want to give anything up but being a werewolf has certainly derailed the plans she made for her life. It’s all about compromise, yet Carol won’t budge an inch. She has this ability that confounds her alpha and pack and sometimes makes her the odd one out. This talent of which she tried to exercise great control over comes at a cost and it plays into the plot quite effectively. She also has some inner pain that gets dealt with.

And isn’t it romantic that Ryan wants to help? Not that his help is wanted initially. That made for some interesting reading. I liked Carol’s character. When things get nasty, her strengths shine – she’s smart, has a clever brain process, is dedicated and goes after what she wants. She’s feminine enough to feel insecure at times when confronted with what she sees are perfect werewolf females, until Ryan has her believing what he sees in her. I found that quite romantic. She’s also woman enough to fight for her man, even when he tells her to ‘stay put’. I really liked that about her.

Ryan is the hero. On top of that, he’s a yummy Scotsman as well as an alpha. I like that he did his own thing and is his own man but still respected the local alpha. Although he’s visiting and states that he’s tying up a loose end, he’s determined to keep Carol safe and he’s not quite sure why. I really enjoyed his slow fall into love. He actually got hit with Cupid’s arrow early on but he didn’t recognize the fact and that made me smile. He’s such a guy. He’s also a great protector and he’s tenacious, all good traits.

A lot of the secondary characters are familiar to readers of previous books but for first time readers, if they jump into the series with this story, they’ll feel like they’re getting a complete picture. It stands alone just fine because this story is carried by Carol and Ryan. The intrigue started in a previous book but this one blows it right open so instead of being teased, a reader gets the whole enchilada. There is terrific suspense, action and even comedic moments to keep a reader fascinated and interested. When Carol and Ryan get together and they explore the physical aspect of their budding relationship, it’s sensual, passionate and very well written. There are some bittersweet moments among the secondary characters as well. Everyone had a job in this story for good or ill, and they’re all very well fleshed out and I believe accomplished whatever the author needed them to do. Another reason I enjoyed this book is that it gave me a sense of community which provided more shocking power to the maniacal plot.

Wolf Fever is another winner of a story that kept me on the edge with its unique master storytelling and plot. There are villains of different flavors and degrees that prevented me from guessing which way Ms. Spear was going to go. I enjoyed the brisk dialogue and the insights it gave me as I read. I liked Carol and Ryan as a couple and Ryan’s sister is a hot ticket. The quality of writing is as strong as ever and a must read for paranormal wolf fans who enjoy a romance laced with humor along with great suspense. It sure made it a hard to put down book. For me, I didn’t want to stop reading, even when it was time to go to bed. Who wants sleep when they’re in the middle of reading a story by Ms. Spear? Her writing is pure entertainment.

4 comments:

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Xeranthemum, thanks so much for my first review of Wolf Fever!!! And such a lovely review!!! I loved it! I'm off to share it with the world.

I'm so thrilled you enjoyed their story. So many asked for Carol's story that although I hadn't planned on writing it initially when I wrote about her in Destiny of the Wolf despite truly loving her character, because my editor isn't into psychics and Carol's a psychic. So I was thrilled my editor, who really is the greatest!, allowed me to tell Carol's tale. :)

Hmm, you liked Ryan's sister, eh? I'll have to think about that! :) What kind of trouble could she get into??? :)

You made my whole week!!! Thanks again!

Lori said...

Great review. I most definately want this book...Huge fan of Spear's. I am glad Carol gets her own book, she definately was fun character.

Sara Taney Humphreys said...

I can't wait to read this one! This is one of my favorite series and this book looks fantastic.

Nancy Bristow said...

So far I've only read the first book in the series, Heart of the Wolf, but am very much looking forward to reading the rest.