Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Love’s Road Home by Lisa Lewis



Love’s Road Home by Lisa Lewis
Publisher: Black Lyon Publishing
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full Length (180 pages)
Heat Level: Spicy
Rating: 3 books
Reviewed by Bittersweet

She wanted to settle down.
But he was on his way up …

A normal life? Bethany Miller has no idea what that is, but she wants it. After spending too much time on an ex-boyfriend only interested in pinning his crimes on her, she accepts a loathsome roadie job from her road manager father. Still running from her chaotic past, she meets an altogether new thing to avoid—a gorgeous brown-eyed man who seems about as far from “normal” as she can imagine.

Teetering on the edge of stardom, guitarist Tom Crowley makes music his number one priority now that his band’s first major tour is underway. So why is more and more of his attention sidetracked by his less than friendly crew member? Can’t a love life coexist with a life on the road? When Beth’s vengeful ex escapes police custody, Tom’s protective nature and attraction know no bounds—if only he can get Beth to stop running.

I admit it. Initially, I was frustrated and a bit bored by Love’s Road Home. Ms. Lewis walked me through the actions and through the character’s feelings, telling me instead of showing me what was going on. It came to the point were it even felt that she was stating the obvious with lines like: “He really wanted to get to know this woman better.”

However, I trudged on, and I don’t regret it one bit!  Things picked up and, even better, the characters, Beth and Tom are fascinating.

Tom is a musician beginning to be famous, but he’s also more than meets the eye. I really enjoyed the way that Ms. Lewis stands out the human-normal side of a musician.

Beth on the other hand, was an intriguing character. Young and with a whole bundle of problems, I just had to plunge on to find out what had made her the untrustworthy girl she was.

After the initial bumps, the road was smooth and unrolled marvellously well. Not only did I get a true impression of Tom and Beth’s characters and the love and care flourishing between them, but Ms. Lewis was able to maintain the sexual tension between them until the very end. The action stops being a walk through the park and becomes rushed and exciting.

Towards the end of the book I was feeling happy for the characters and wishing for my next concert to roll along.  I don't regret reading this book at all and am so glad I continued over those bumps in the road to get to the reward at the end.

No comments: