Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Game Over by Taylor Keating



Game Over by Taylor Keating
Publisher: Tor Books
Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Full Length (405 pgs)
Heat Level: spicy
Rating: 3.5 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Video game designer River Weston is ready to sell her soul to smooth out the glitches in her latest project. When she unwittingly taps into a parallel dimension via cutting-edge technology, a Dark Lord is quick to take her up on her inadvertent offer. Trapped in the world she thought she’d created for her game, River finds herself in a very real alternate dimension that she must escape from before her soul can be used to unleash evil--upon this dimension and many others.

River’s only ally is the sexy and mysterious Chase Hawkins. A prisoner of the Dark Lord, Hawk is a man adrift—literally. His body safe at home under the watchful care of the Guardians’ scientists, his astral-traveling spirit has been enslaved by his people’s worst enemy, the Dark Lord. Clinging desperately to his sense of self, Hawk is determined to turn the tables on his captor before the connection to his body is lost. When the beautiful, achingly familiar River enters the picture, he vows he will do everything he can to save her from her bleak fate.

Drawn together with an inescapable force, Hawk and River must wrest her soul from the Dark Lord’s grasp before it’s too late.

A thrill-ride you won’t soon forget.

Game Over is one of the more involved books I’ve read in a while. Once I grabbed the book, I couldn’t put it down, for fear I’d miss something. The writing is fast paced and tight, which kept me involved with the story for the full four hundred and five pages. The characters are intriguing and there are plenty of plot twists. I must admit, I’m not a gamer, nor do I get the whole video game genre, but in this book, it worked. Yes, there were times when I had to go back and re-read to make sure I hadn’t missed something or confused myself, but it was worth it.

River is a conundrum. She has created a nice little overworked space for herself. She wants loved and has a secret obsession with Sever. Although she could’ve taken the path of shrinking violet when she’s thrust into her game, she doesn’t and it’s a nice change.

Chase “Hawk” Hawkins is a man with issues. He belongs to the Dark Lord and it took me a bit to figure him out but I enjoyed it. He’s strong, capable, and what I want to wake up to in the morning. He's got a connection to his body, as he's a virtual player as River is, but when he sees her, the connection is more than a passing fancy. i liked that he needed to protect her, even above his own welfare. Nice trait in a mate.

If I have any complaints with this book, it’s that its very intricate. You have to really pay attention. That’s not a bad thing, but if you’re looking for a breezy read, this one might not fit your bill. Still, I liked the book and would recommend it to those who love a good sci-fi story. I give Game Over 3.5 books.

No comments: