Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Courting Constance by Teryl Cartwright



Courting Constance by Teryl Cartwright
Publisher: Vintage Reflections Publishing
Genre: Historical, Inspirational
Length: Full Length (276 pgs)
Heat Level: Sweet
Rating: 4 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

If marriage was an occupation, Constance was determined to enjoy her search for employment. Men, after all, made it easy to fall in love. Sadly, though, they also made it just as difficult to stay in love. Constance was not going to settle for an ordinary life as a wife. She just had to convince a certain someone as well as herself that a wedding could be the beginning of some adventures instead of the end of them.

What happens when the love of your life doesn't want you? What if you were the one who pushed him away? You have a handful of choices. You can fight to get him back, or you can live and let live. What would you do?

If you're Constance, you fight in the only way you know how--cunning and sweetness. Oh, and a helping of slightly pushy with a side of nosy never was this cute.

First I have to say I read this book in one sitting. It was that good. The characters arrested me in the space of one page. I had to know what would happen next. Constance is so inventive--I loved her pluck.

I've found with many historicals, the reading can sometimes be dry. Not so with this book. I felt like I was there with Constance and Geoffrey fumbling to come to terms with what had happened to their relationship. The writing is tight and bounced the story along.

As I said, I loved Constance's resolve. When she decided to go for Geoffrey, she put her whole heart into it. Unlike many women in historicals, she's feisty and resourceful. Circumstances reminded me of her time in history near the end, but it fit and worked well with the plot.

The one who took some time to grow on me was Geoffrey. In the beginning of the book, he's not the most pleasant character because he's filled with rage. But, I liked how he grew as a person and embraced his faith. It was nice to see him realize what really resided in his heart.

If you want a story that's fast-paced and very sweet, then you need to read Courting Constance. I give this story 4 books.





No comments: