Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blood Evolution by Kimberly Adkins

Blood Evolution by Kimberly Adkins
Publisher: Siren Bookstrand
Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Short Story (59 pgs)
Heat Level: Spicy
Rating: 3.5 books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

From time immemorial he has walked among us

Some would call him a God; others call him the Devil…

A lifetime of sacred belief cast aside for one moment of perfect love

Amon traded his soul, his mortality and the only existence he had ever known to save the life of one woman, a beauty who forever marked his heart with the color of her eyes.

Second chances

Aziza was as beautiful and innocent in her newborn life as she had been before the ancient sacrifice that took her from her one true love. She was also in danger of losing her mortality once more to the very demon that craved her blood centuries ago.

As their souls meet again and come full circle, Amon vows to defeat the ancient evil that denied them their destiny for far too long. This time he won’t allow himself to fail, because he now knows the truth--He can’t live without her, and yet he cannot die…

You cannot die, but if you save the life of the one you love, you’ll be destroyed. Oh, and there’s another catch. You have to find her again. Sounds intriguing? It was to me, so I read Blood Evolution.

There is a lot going on in a very few pages in this story. Ms. Adkins drew me in with her rich descriptions into Amon’s world. I liked the complexity of the characters. Things weren’t always as they seemed and it kept me on my toes, wanting to know more.

At the same time, there are glimpses into Amon’s life in the past. I liked seeing his original struggle and the meeting with Aziza, but there were moments where it was confusing. Amon, as per the story, isn’t a God, but he might be the devil. That little bit of confusion as to what he was made it hard to follow the story in spots. I liked the idea that he wasn’t exactly classified, but there were times when I wanted more of an idea so I could picture him better.

Still, I liked his determination. Every time he wanted to push her, to make her see who he was and show her how he’d searched for her, he got right to the edge. His internal struggle was emotional to read about and tender to see how it played out. And talk about endings! I totally didn’t see what happened coming. My complaint? It happened almost too fast. I realize this is a short tale, but it felt abrupt.

My favorite character, and the one I want to close the review with is Alana. She’s got guts. She could kick heinie if she needed to, but I liked how she followed her heart—be it to believe Amon or to continue on her search. She was a force to reckon with.

If you want a story that’s got lots of twist and turns and a hint of spice, then you need to read Blood Evolution. I give this book 3.5 books.

No comments: