Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Love in the Time of Dragons by Katie MacAlister

Love in the Time of Dragons by Katie MacAlister
Publisher: Signet
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Full (331 pages)
Heat: Spicy
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Xeranthemum

When it comes to love, one woman is scaling back her expectations...

Tully Sullivan is just like any other suburban mom-except she's just woken up in a strange place surrounded by strange people who keep insisting that they're dragons-and that she's one too.

This is a twisted tale of a woman who thinks she knows who she is and ends up finding out that the facts of her life are a lie and her true love is a monster.

Tully is a wonderfully crafted character. She’s warm, funny, and loyal, and has a knack for being the goose that lays the golden egg. Someone wants her to remain ignorant. Others demand she remember things that truly must come from a horror story and all Tully wants to do is get back to being an ordinary mom. Instead her mettle is tested when she slowly comes to terms with the truth of her life and has to battle mistrust, hate, diabolical machinations against her and the realization that she really does have a true love. Through it all she’s a loving mom but even that relationship is a surprise for a reader. And I have to say, when she meets Baltic, things totally get interesting.

I’m not sure what Baltic is. He’s both good and bad and a whole lot of puzzle. He certainly loves Tully – that I never doubted. But dragon politics being what they are, the man is stubborn, arrogant, wily and totally hot. There’s this scene where Tully tells him about one of her sexual fantasies that had me snickering. In fact, it’s brought up again in a few well-timed places that kept me giggling and grinning from Baltic’s reaction. Honest, that had to be one of the funniest moments in the entire book and Ms. MacAlister knows how to effectively milk a joke for all it’s worth and I enjoyed every moment.

There are plot twists and turns that kept me riveted. New characters that fascinated and old ones that allowed for a feeling of continuity and community for readers and fans of Ms. MacAlister’s dragon books.

This book stands alone just fine and enjoyment does not require having read any previous books, but it sure wouldn’t hurt.

The big revelation creates more questions than answers for me and ends up being a perfect hook for the next book. There is no way I’m going to miss it because I’ve got major curiosity invested after this story. The happily ever after is bittersweet because their future isn’t going to be all flowers and wind chimes. There’s a wild storm coming and I can’t even imagine how Ms. MacAlister is going to have these two lovers weather it, but I’ve got my ticket for the ride and I can’t wait. Awesome story and a definite recommend from me.

No comments: