Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, July 2, 2010

A Knight’s Persuasion by Catherine Kean

A Knight’s Persuasion by Catherine Kean
Publisher: Medallion Press
Genre: Action/Adventure, Historical, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Full (447 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Book 4 of the Knights Series

When Edouard de Lanceau, son of Moydenshire’s great Lord Geoffrey de Lanceau, finds an unconscious wounded woman lying in a river, he’s shocked to recognize Lady Juliana de Greyne, to whom he was once almost betrothed. The previous year, his bet with a friend to win her kiss went awry, and the commitment to her never proceeded. When Juliana’s sister deceived him into betrothing her instead, Edouard became honor-bound to wed her. Yet he still desires Juliana. Taking her in his arms, he vows to discover who would want her dead, and why.

While riding to an important meeting on behalf of his ill father, Edouard must face Lord Geoffrey’s enemies, who have returned to Moydenshire to destroy him. Taken prisoner and chained in a tower, Edouard must fight not only for his life, but for Juliana’s as well.

When Juliana wakes, she has no memory of who she is or what happened to her. She only knows she’s captive in a chamber alongside a man in chains who insists he knows her. For reasons unknown, her feelings for this stranger run strong. Were they once lovers—or is he a cold-blooded killer?

Determined to regain her memories and know the truth, Lady Juliana discovers that nothing can vanquish love or the power of A Knight’s Persuasion.

A damsel in distress and a rogue who isn’t quite what he seems. This is the story of A Knight’s Persuasion.

I’m normally not much into historicals because I like stories with a spicy angle. This story goes against the grain for me in a good way. Catherine Kean’s method of storytelling drew me in immediately, making me want to know what was going to happen next. I started A Knight’s Persuasion and in a matter of hours, had it finished, not wanting it to end. Ms. Kean writes in such a fashion that I felt like I was right there next to Edouard and Juliana.

Edouard isn’t the man he seems and it’s a great change of pace. I liked Juliana’s pluck. There is a sizzle of unspoken passion between them, even early on that I wanted to see work out. I found myself rooting for them over and over.

But just when I thought I had the story figured out, Ms. Kean threw in a curveball that kept me on my toes. The subplot is complicated, but makes the tale rich. I loved that Edouard’s family couldn’t make things easy for him and Juliana, making both characters relatable. The antagonist, though mean and nasty, enriches the plot, making me want to read more.

If you want a story that will stay with you long after the last page and characters that feel like your friends, then you need to read A Knight’s Persuasion.

No comments: