Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Love To Declare by Charlotte McClain



Love To Declare by Charlotte McClain
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Short (38 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 3.5 Books
Reviewed by Poppy

Schlepping parts back and forth from Japan for work, Jake has been waiting to see Customs bust somebody for months. He thinks it might be his lucky day when the agents take special interest in Maggie. But Maggie is nice and hardly the type. Isn't she?

Maggie just wants to get home. She's been overseas teaching pre-school for a year and flying for the past several days. Then before the final leg, she gets stuck in Secondary Inspection. The only saving grace being the cute guy hanging around with her. He's the only one who doesn't think she's a criminal. Isn't he?

Who would think that being held up in customs and presumed to be a drug dealer could have such yummy consequences?

This short vignette gave me a quick look into the potential horrors of international travel. Having never traveled internationally, I have no idea of the accuracy of the story, but I will say I was entertained by all the difficulties our heroine, Maggie, encountered while trying to get home.

Thankfully, she has Jake to keep her company. Jake, who hangs out with her for three hours, talks to her, and best of all, believes that she’s innocent of all charges. Or does he?

While not overly romantic, this fun read certainly entertained me for an hour or so. Poor Maggie is exhausted, sad and utterly jet-lagged, and watching as her bags are searched, she’s interrogated and frisked, and so much more was definitely more fun for me than it was for her. Jake seems too good to be true – a Boy Scout type who helps old ladies across the street, and who takes an interest in Maggie and her predicament. Though he’s awfully cozy with the customs agents, he’s also sweet, funny and caring. Maggie can’t help but be charmed by him. Neither can I.

Still, I have to admit that there just wasn’t that *zing* between Maggie and Jake, that frissure of sexual awareness that I love to see in a romance. This may have been partly due to Maggie’s near comatose state at the end of the story, however! Poor Maggie...

Regardless, I enjoyed the story for its pure entertainment value. I wore a smile on my face the entire time I read it. It’s well written and edited (except for one “alright”, which is a pet peeve of mine), and the characters are real and three-dimensional. The author is clearly talented and has a voice I thoroughly enjoyed.

If you want a short story that will make you grin (and possibly put you off traveling outside the country!), then you’ll enjoy Love To Declare. I know I did.

No comments: