Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Guardian Cowboy by Crystal-Rain Love



Guardian Cowboy by Crystal-Rain Love
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Short Story (116 pgs)
Heat Level: sensual
Rating: 4 Books
Reviewed by Poppy

After a failed bodyguarding assignment, the last thing Presley West wants is to save a damsel in distress, but the spunky woman he finds standing on the side of the interstate in the pouring rain brings out his protective instincts.

Amber Barlow ran from the clutches of a demon, and into the arms of an angel. But the closer she gets to her guardian cowboy, the more her fear grows, because a southern gentleman like Presley could never want a woman with a past as soiled as hers.

I thought I knew what I was getting into with Guardian Cowboy – abused woman, alpha male ... it’s all been done before, right? Maybe, but this wonderful story was nothing like I’d anticipated.

First off, the heroine, Amber wasn’t a wounded bird at all. Abused? Absolutely. Cautious? Assuredly. But beaten down? Never. She’s feisty and fun and smart and sassy. I loved her! Her self-esteem may not have been the best, but once she trusted the people around her, she gave as good (and sometimes better!) as she got.

Presley, though? Not your typical alpha male. A mistake he made in his past caused a woman to die, and he took it hard. Ironically, of the two, he is the one most wounded and afraid to trust again.

Ms. Love has done a fabulous job taking your usual storyline and flipping that sucker right on its ear. Nothing happened the way I expected, and the uniqueness of the plot kept me turning pages. Even the ending was different than I expected – and completely satisfying. Of course, the laundry list of truly amusing and three-dimensional secondary characters helped with my being enthralled with the story.

I admit to wishing I’d been privy to more of what went on behind the bedroom door, but the story is clearly marked “sensual”, so I shouldn’t have been surprised. It’s just that the heat and sexual tension rolled off Amber and Presley in waves, so it was a little disappointing that I didn’t get a front row seat when they finally gave in to their urges.

Still, any visit to Wayback, Texas is a fun one and this story didn’t disappoint. For a good time, fun characters, unique plot and oodles of sexual tension grab yourself a copy.



No comments: