Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Farm Fatale by Wendy Holden

Farm Fatale by Wendy Holden
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full (402 pages)
Heat: Spicy
Rating: 4 Books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Cash-strapped Rosie and her boyfriend Mark are city folk longing for a country cottage. Rampantly nouveaux-riches Samantha and Guy are also searching for rustic bliss—a mansion complete with all the fancy trappings. The village of Eight Mile Bottom seems quiet enough, despite a nosy postman, a reclusive rock star, a glamorous Bond Girl, and a ghost with a knife in its back. But there are unexpected thrills in the hills, and the two couples are soon swept up in various romantic entanglements, mix-ups, slip-ups, and unlikely seductions in their search for ever-greener pastures.

Coming together and making something happen out of nothing. Add a dash of slapstick and a bevy of characters and you have Farm Fatale.

This is my first foray into Wendy Holden’s work, and I have to admit that it was worth the read. Ms. Holden spins a tale that’s interlocked and complex, though while when you’re reading it, it seems breezy. The characters are interesting and nabbed my attention immediately, even when they weren’t my favorites. There are lots of plot twists to keep the reader entertained and engaged with the story, but I can’t disclose them without ruining the story.

I liked the interwoven love stories in this book. Rosie and Mark are total opposites. He loves the city, while she’s dying to get back to the earth on the farm. The culture clash is something that anyone can relate to. We’ve all known someone who’s a square peg in a round hole, such as Mark. But I loved Rosie’s spirit. She never gives up.

Guy and Samantha seemed like caricatures of Hollywood types, and made me laugh throughout the book. I loved their idea of being in the country without the actual hardship of being “country” folks. And Samantha’s tendency to stick her nose into everyone else’s lives cracked me up.

My only real issues with this story were the bevy of characters and the ending. I like a story with lots of things going on, but there were times when I had to reread and almost make notes to keep everyone straight in my mind. I won’t say much about the ending, but it seemed a tad cumbersome, like it wasn’t exactly firm. Still, the book was an enjoyable read and I will certainly tell my friends about it.

If you want a story that will make your sides ache from laughing, then you need to read Farm Fatale.

No comments: