Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

All Hours Trading by Mary Jo Burke



All Hours Trading by Mary Jo Burke
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Short (117 pages)
Heat: Spicy
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Honeysuckle

I’m Ann Milton, financial planner for the undead and supernaturally challenged. Vampire Lance Cheron is my most important client. I think he sat at the Round Table with King Arthur and they didn’t play bridge. Our lives are complicated.

First, a cute stockbroker sits beside me on the train. If only he'd pay for his own ticket. Then Lance's age-old enemy reappears: a dried-up hag after his money. If she’s Guinevere, I’ll croak. These challenges are nothing compared to my dream: a baby. Undead procreation is impossible. Or is it? Paging Dr. Merlin?

Working for a vampire sucks. At least that’s what Ann Milton, financial advisor to the undead, tells herself. Apparently, the perks aren’t half bad though when said vampire takes just enough blood to make her orgasm fourteen times in one night!

One of my favorite lines form the book gives a great visual. This is Lance talking to Ann as he gets dressed, “Your body vibrates as soon as I touch you. You’re grabbing the sheets, slapping the bed, and thrashing before I finish sealing your wound.” Like I said, the perks aren’t half bad. Did I mention he reads French poetry in bed and readily admits to loving Ann all in the first chapter?

If I’ve gotten your attention, let me encourage you to pick up a copy of Mary Jo Burke’s All Hours Trading. Ms. Burke has penned a very sensual and spicy love story between the very human Ann and her dark-haired, dark-eyed undead lover of ten years, Lancelot Cheron. Ann describes herself as a “financial planner for the undead and supernaturally underserved”. Lance just calls her Angel.

Be forewarned: this short story is written in first person. I wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy it at first but the witty dialogue and original and engaging plot won me over. Without giving too much away, there is a blast from Lance’s past that adds some excitement to Ann’s life and brings with it answers to who Lance really is and where he came from. You won’t want to miss the twist!

This was my first introduction to Ms. Burke’s writings but it certainly won’t be my last.

No comments: