Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Specs Appeal by Beverly Breton



Specs Appeal by Beverly Breton
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Short (41 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 4 Books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Living in one place your whole life has advantages, but everyone knowing your business isn’t one of them. Liz Matthews is no longer the shy tenth grader nicknamed Specs. Her eleven-year relationship with her high school sweetheart is definitely over. And she is never dating anyone from Everett, Indiana, again.

Then she walks into the optician’s shop and discovers the new owner is the one boy from high school she never forgot. No way David Sherwood’s decision to move back to Everett after all these years has anything to do with her. Is there? Liz is too raw to put her love life up for town fodder again, and too attracted not to…

David Sherwood is not about to admit he’s spent years pining over someone else’s girl. Can his silly jokes still make her laugh? Or is he too late for a chance with Liz Matthews.

Sometimes the past isn’t there to haunt you—it’s there to give you the chance you never thought you deserved. Which is why you have to read Specs Appeal.

This is my first story by Ms. Breton, but it won’t be my last. The sweet aspects of the book kept me involved throughout. I fell under the spell of the characters immediately and wanted to know more about them. I realize this is a short story, but I still wanted more of their background and to see where things went after the ending.

Liz is as interesting as the bevy of calamities happening around her. She’s more than a little self-conscious which at first put me off, but I liked how she grew through the story. I wanted to see more, but the glimpses I got made me really enjoy the way the story played out.

My favorite character in the story was David. I really wanted to see more of his side of the story. I liked the idea of him coming home, potentially to get into a relationship with her. I love a guy with good intentions and his were the best. It didn’t hurt anything that he’s handsome and good with his hands — especially when seen through her eyes.

If you want a sweet little romance that will have you begging for more, then you need to read Specs Appeal.

1 comment:

Liz Fichera said...

Sounds like fun and I love the title!