Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ghosts Of Valentines Past by Rie McGaha



Ghosts Of Valentines Past by Rie McGaha
Publisher: Noble Romance Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Recent Historical, Holiday, Paranormal
Length: Short (25 pages)
Heat: Sensual
Rating: 3.5 Books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. That’s Twyla’s philosophy ever since she found a pair of thongs in her fiancĂ©’s car the day before their wedding. Now it’s Valentine’s Day and her roommate is all about the hearts and chocolates, but Twyla isn’t going for it. That is, until a few ghosts drop in to show her the error of her ways.

Ever let that one love get away and wonder what might have been if you’d held on tighter? Or how your life would be if you never got the chance to love again?

You’d better read Ghosts of Valentines Past and find out more.

The concept of this story intrigued me from the beginning. She’s jaded about Valentine’s Day and love because of her past. Three ghosts, a la, Scrooge, show up to change her mind—if it’s possible. Ms. McGaha’s writing captured me from page one. I wanted to know what would happen to Twyla and how she would or wouldn’t change her mind. This is a sweet story full of redemption and reconciliation. I wanted to see more from Shane’s point of view, but this is a short story. There is only so much that can be packed in and Ms. McGaha did a great job of showing me his feelings, even if I wanted more.

My only issue was the caustic attitude of Twyla. I wanted to like her immediately. I mean, who hasn’t had a rough experience with Valentine’s Day and love? It’s pretty easy to identify with her. The thread that her past rumpled her made a lot of impact with me. So many times little issues in our past shape who we become and the plot twists Ms. McGaha employed made the story great. Still, Twyla’s snark turned me off. I know she was hurting and that showed well, but I almost wondered how her roommate put up with her. I loved the intrusion of the ghosts and thought they made the story hilarious and touching.

And the ending? Well, let me just say it was perfect and left me aching for more. Well done.

If you want a sweet little read to remind you how great Valentine’s Day really can be when infused with the power of love, then you need to read Ghosts of Valentines Past.

1 comment:

Rie McGaha said...

Thank you so much for your nice review of Ghosts. What was meant to be a short & sweet read has left many readers and reviewers alike wanting more from Shane. Whether or not Shane will get to tell his side is still unclear. He's a little shy, so I'm waiting to see what he wants to do.

Rie McGaha