Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Marrying Mallory by Diane Craver



Marrying Mallory by Diane Craver
Publisher: Self
Genre: Contemporary, Inspirational
Length: Short (86 pgs)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Fennel




Is Mallory Harrington jinxed because her name means luckless? Things have gone wrong for Mallory since she was a small child. All she ever wanted was to have a complete family and live happily ever after. It appears she has it all when she marries Toby Harrington and they have a son. Unfortunately, their marriage ends when Toby has an affair with his law partner. After their divorce, Mallory feels guilt that she couldn't forgive Toby for his affair. As a Christian, she should be able to forgive him for his sin.

Mallory decides to do something for herself, and get a surgical procedure that she's always wanted. What she doesn't expect is her instant attraction to her surgeon.

Sometimes faith is about accepting what can’t be changed and grabbing what God offers her. Life must go on.

In his book, ‘Writing the Breakout Novel’, Donald Maas states, “God works in little ways as well as big ones, so look for small moments of magic as well as big ones.” He then asks, “Have you ever felt that something that happened to you was fated?”

Well in Diane Craver’s book, Marrying Mallory, that is the precept she has used.

Mallory is born with a nose she considers too large and ungainly for her face, and is fed-up with her students snickering behind her back so decides to take action.

Consider: if an unseen act of God had not occurred, Mallory would never have crossed paths with plastic surgeon, Seth Whitman.

A devout and practicing Christian, Mallory is also faced with coming to terms with accepting that her divorce from her cheating husband Toby slices right through her religious beliefs. Can she learn to forgive herself for what she perceives as a betrayal of her beliefs? For all Seth’s charms, strength and obvious attraction to her, can Mallory learn to forgive herself and accept reality for what it is?

Not content in stirring the pot of confusion in her heroine’s mind, Ms. Craver then sets to work on her hero, giving him ethical and emotional dilemmas enough to floor the strongest of heroes. But Seth’s Christian faith and staunch friends do not let him down. All he has to achieve, now, is to undo the author's masterly character development in her heroine and convince Mallory they have a future together.

Ms. Craver's secondary characters all play pivotal roles in the story without usurping the hero and heroine. Time, place and setting all enhance and move the plot along and create vivid imagery for her readers. For those who assume an inspirational romance cannot handle conflict, drama and suspense, I recommend they read Diane Craver’s Marrying Mallory, for it is all there.

16 comments:

Diane Craver said...

Hi Fennel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my book, MARRYING MALLORY. You made my day with your wonderful review.

Diane Craver said...

Fennel,
I forgot to mention that I love the quote you used in your review of Marrying Mallory from Donald Maas' book, "Writing the Breakout Novel" - especially meaningful to me since I read his book and enjoyed it.

Anne Patrick said...

Great review, ladies. Congratulations, Diane. This is a wonderful book. I highly recommend it!

Diane Craver said...

Thank you so much, Anne!

Laurean Brooks said...

Diane,

This is one of the best reviews on ANY book, I've ever read. I could feel the reviewer's excitement and sincerety.

My question: Can I get an autographed copy? Or would you like to trade Marrying Mallory for my full length, Journey To Forgiveness? It's a book I believe you will enjoy. I'm getting this feelin that our writing topics are very similar.

Let me know on our loop.

Congratulations on a great review and a wonderful book. Gotta have it!

EA said...

Yay, Diane! Congrats on the great review. Marrying Mallory is perfect for this time of year as well. Springtime, things in bloom...

Diane Craver said...

Laurean,

Thank you! I know - it's a fantastic review - I love it!

I'll contact you soon on the yahoo group. I don't have a print copy of Marrying Mallory.

Diane Craver said...

Thank you, EA! Great point about Mallory and spring. The time of the year is spring when Mallory meets Seth. :-)

Miss Mae said...

Absolutely FANTASTIC review, Diane! Yaaay, I'm so thrilled because I know how hard you worked on this, and it's wonderful to see that sweat recognized!

Excellent job, girlfriend! :)

Diane Craver said...

Hi Miss Mae,

Thank you so much! I'm definitely excited! I appreciate your friendship and support!

MarthaE said...

This sounds like a wonderful book and the review is well done! Congratulations to Diane and best wishes!

Diane Craver said...

Hi Martha,

Thank you for the congrats! I'm so glad that Fennel liked my Marrying Mallory book.

Hywela Lyn said...

Great review, Diane, sounds like a wonderful book, congratulations!

Diane Craver said...

Hi Hywela,
Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by!

Delia Latham said...

Sounds AWESOME, Diane! Can't wait to read it.

Diane Craver said...

Hi Delia,
Thank you! I enjoyed writing Marrying Mallory and so happy you stopped by here!