Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Crimson Rose by R. Malone



Crimson Rose by R. Malone
Publisher: Publish America
Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Suspense/Mystery
Length: Full (249 pages)
Rating: 3.5 Books
Reviewed by Tiger Lily

The last few years have not been kind to Rose. She has lost her husband and is currently residing with an abusive boyfriend. Furthermore, an enigmatic but very handsome man is stalking her. Ultimately, she finds that he is a supernatural being from heaven; or perhaps he has emerged from the depths of hell. Regardless, from his pointed teeth to his blood-kissed lips, Stefan is indeed a vampire, a creature Rose once thought only existed in folklore. He has emerged from the sinister darkness and come to claim her as his own.

Stefan Hansen has seen the very worst of mankind. Before his transitioning, he had endured the horrors of World War II and the violent loss of his Jewish love. Thinking that the past was dead, he could not have been more wrong. And an apparition from his past was scheming to prove it with destructive intentions.

Sometimes the simplest story is the hardest to tell. In the case of Crimson Rose, there is a lot to tell and a short period of time to tell it.

The vampire genre is heavily saturated with stories of the macabre. Stories that will make you squirm. Crimson Rose is one of those tales.

Now I have to admit that this is a hard review to write. There are parts of this story that made me smile. There were also parts that made me think and clench my fist. This isn’t a story you can read lightly. The world Rose and Stefan live in is well depicted. You feel like you are there.

Although the point of view is a little confusing at first, once it settles in, the story is worth the read. I must admit, it’s a little hard to identify with Rose and Stefan at first. Rose is a strong woman, but she’s in circumstances partly of her own making, then again, you can identify with her struggle to get out of it. There are times I wanted to scream at her, and times I wanted to applaud. As the story progresses, I came to like her much more. Stefan is very hard to like at first because you aren’t sure how to feel about him. But like Rose, as the story builds, you see he’s not what he seems.

I’m not a fan of forced seduction, but it’s written tastefully enough, that the forced part is a bit obscured. I like the idea of using the Holocaust in the story, but felt the back story being lumped in dragged the story down a bit.

My favorite character in the story is truly the little boy Jacob. He’s got a good heart and even though he’s not totally aware of what’s going, you want to scoop him into your arms and hug him.

If you want a story that will stay with you and will make you think, then you need to read Crimson Rose.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Thank you Tiger Lily! What a wonderful review.

When I wrote this book, I had a habit of head-hopping, so I can definitely see where that was confusing, lol. I'm proud to say that I no longer head hop! I've learned since, and I stick strictly to one POV in the sequel.

Your entire review was spot on, everything that I wanted to convey to the reader in this book. Brilliant!

Robin :)
(R. Malone)