Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, November 16, 2009

My Unfair Lady by Kathryne Kennedy



My Unfair Lady by Kathryne Kennedy
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Genre: Historical
Length: Full (363 pages)
Heat: Hot
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Xeranthemum

A wild west heiress, Summer Wine Lee knows that she's not an acceptable bride for her fiance's knickerbocker family. She grew up in an Arizona mining town, cares more for critters than people, carries a knife under her skirts, and, worst of all, she has a highly improper secret from her past. But she also has high hopes that a real English Duke can teach her how to be a lady…

Were it not for his father's gambling debts, the Duke of Monchester would never have stooped to civilize Summer. But the more time he spends with her, and the more social scrapes he has to rescue her from, the more he finds it impossible to change her into a proper lady. How could he, when he's falling in love with her just the way she is?

My Unfair Lady is a rollicking good read chock full with humor, a delightful romance, endearing characters both furry and human; and it ended up being a book I could not put down until I finished it at one o’clock in the morning.

Summer’s personality is sunny, winsome, practical, cheeky, spunky and delightfully clever. She has a goal that as time goes on seems to be less and less important. Yet, because Summer has integrity, it puts her in the position of being torn between what she wants and what she’s promised to do. It takes a lot of guts to stick to a promise, even when the reasons for keeping it seem no longer valid. At times I felt she should have just gone with the flow, but that wouldn’t have been true to her character. No one grows from taking the easy way out so the internal conflict works.

Byron, the Duke, is a cultured man of many talents. It is incredibility refreshing to find a hero that is not as tall as the Rock of Gibraltar. Byron is a regular guy, as far as the upper crust can be regular, and a tortured man at that. He has his pride, his defenses intact and a few secrets that he holds close to his chest. He doesn’t trust easily nor smiles. I totally enjoyed watching how Summer worked her personal magic on Byron, slowly thawing him into the man he should have been.

I got the greatest kick out of the fast paced dialogue and witty verbal fencing between Byron and Summer. I adored Summer’s penchant for rescuing fur-babies in distress and how her influence touched a spot in Byron he’d thought lost to him forever. Romance abounds in this story.

Secondary characters a varied and colorful. I have many favorites. We have the prince, an enemy that really isn’t and someone who shouldn’t have been who was, fancy riding and snobbish old biddies. There’s even a scene that might make some people squeamish yet is perfectly in character. There’s even a moment when I got the sniffles, it was so tender and achingly sad. Then there were the many parts which had me laughing out loud, which isn’t a smart thing to do in the wee hours of the morning when people are sleeping.

My Unfair Lady has everything I look for in a romance story. I cheered for Summer, wanted to hug and save Byron, my cheeks hurt from grinning so much and I could not put the book down until I’d read it from cover to cover. If this book is a representative of Ms. Kennedy’s regular style, I’ll be looking into her back list. I’d recommend this book to all my friends.

No comments: