Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

All For A Dead Man's Leg by R. Ann Siracusa



All For A Dead Man's Leg by R. Ann Siracusa
Publisher: Sapphire Blue Publishing
Genre: Romance with humorous mystery
Length: Full (234 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Snapdragon

My name is Harriet Ruby, Tour Director Extraordinaire. At least I thought I was worthy of that title until one of my tourists, Archie Philpot, died in the middle of my first, solo European tour.

Teaming up with William Talbot, a seemingly kind stranger who turned out to be a spy in disguise, I tried to keep my tourists happy and unaware while smuggling poor old Archie's body out of Morocco. I never expected my newfound friend and helper to be the love of my life. It certainly didn’t hurt that he was such a hunk!

But before our romance even got properly started, we were chased by terrorists, smugglers and murderers. Since my role model had always been Tour Guide Barbie, I was out of my league and had to rely on Will to get us to safely.

Little did I know that getting out of Morocco was just the beginning...
Stumbling around Tangiers searching for a lost bus driver is not really going to leave tour director Harriet Ruby with a great review of her first tour – then again, a dying tourist isn’t exactly great on a resume either.

Between losing the bus driver, having to chase down her tourists, then assist Mr. Philpot (well, as much as she is able) a lot of craziness kicks off ‘All For A Dead Man’s Leg.' And it only gets wilder from there. The action is non-stop, as is the humor.

Poor Harriet – don’t even ask her nick-name – has to rely on her tourists, various well-meaning folks around… and finally Will Talpot, the kindly stranger who seems so perfect, right up until Harriet discovered he’s a spy. A spy with wry humor and apparently desperately intent on smuggling poor old Archie Philpot completely out of Morocco. Does he really think they should have a relationship? Holy moly - he’s a quick study! Harriet better stay on her toes. From murder to hostage situations, this one has it all. Could it possibly be that Harriet is disaster-prone?

Humor sails up and down constantly, anywhere from silly to slapstick. There might be a few than subtly humorous comments… or perhaps one subtly humorous comment, but honestly, most of this is laugh-out-loud, in-your-face funny.

The direct, frank first person doesn’t work for every tale, but here, the quick conversational tone that occasional reveals something of an inner monologue and the intriguing revelations keep the plot twists coming. ‘All For A Dead Man’s Leg’ is a dance with the endlessly unexpected; I never expected what an out-n-out fun read this would be. Once you start, you won’t be able to put it down.

No comments: