Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, August 10, 2009

The Matchmakers by Jennifer Colgan



The Matchmakers by Jennifer Colgan
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Genre: Contemporary, Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Length: Full (181 pages)
Heat: Sensual
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Zinnia

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but they just might make a perfect match…

Nick Garret is flypaper for females, and he likes it that way. Women stick for a while, and when it’s over they fly away. So does he. Then one rain-slick night a young woman steps in front of his pickup truck, and his jaded, cynical life takes a sharp swerve toward trouble.

Calliope did the only thing she could think to get Nick to steer his truck—and his life—in a new direction. Banished from the Fae realm for granting a wish gone bad, her punishment is an impossible task; redeem the unredeemable Nick Garret. If she fails to help him pair three couples in everlasting bliss, he’s doomed to never experience real love. And she will share his fate—as a mortal.

Nick can’t decide if this charming, exasperating woman is a dream come true, or a saucy, sexy nightmare sent to drive him insane. Yet something about her makes him want to rise to her challenge. He’ll do anything to make her stick around a while.

Besides, how much trouble can one half-naked, seemingly wingless faerie be?

Well, let me take a moment to wipe the tears from my eyes before I get started. This simple tale was so powerful it left me sighing.

Nick Garret is a rolling stone. He loves the ladies (for a little while) and then leaves them, or they leave him. No broken hearts, no recriminations, just another episode of sex in a life that is going nowhere. Gee, I think I recognize this guy.

And then there's Calliope, a fairy, or as she prefers--fae--who just wants to maintain the status quo in fairyland, keep her wings, and always be allowed to assist in lovers finding true love.

Thank heaven neither of the main characters have a clue about what's best for them. Calliope is assigned the arduous task of helping three mortal couples find each other. Nick of course is the human chosen to assist her in divine matchmaking.

If they fail--neither will ever experience love again, for anything or anyone. Nick really doesn't see the big deal. He's not that impressed with the emotion and has found that it fades fast. The way he sees it, he doesn't have much to lose.

Calliope, on the other hand, has a career in aiding lovers in their lonely quests. She'll not only lose her job, but also her wings, her fairy power, and most of all her immortality. She'll be…human.

I loved Nick and Callie, grieved at their loss, and rejoiced at their reuniting. By the third page, the enchantment of the story enveloped me. Kudos, to author Jennifer Colgan; I will definitely watch for more of this author's books, and suggest that my friends buy her too. The writing and editing were superb, delivering a story that made me remember why I love romance. Like I said, I don't cry easy, but this one made me wipe the mist from my glasses.



No comments: