Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Rosemary Thief by Fiona Law



The Rosemary Thief by Fiona Law
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Fantasy/fairy tale
Length: Short (35 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 5 Books
Reviewed by Zinnia

Meagan is passionate about cooking and goes to great lengths to obtain the right ingredients for her recipes. She prides herself on turning out perfect dishes. Desperate for fresh rosemary she plunders a bush belonging to a witch. Caught red handed by Brock, the witch’s enigmatic henchman, she finds herself working off her theiving in the witch’s kitchen. Becoming more and more enamoured of him, she finds herself faced with a difficult choice. Will she be able to ruin a meal in the name of love, or will her pride get in her way?

This story about a humble cook and a wicked witch is absolutely superb. But, I'm going to be snarky up front. Whoever edited this piece did the author an extreme disservice. This amazing story deserved far, far better than this. The paragraphs (do you understand what they are for?) were long, run-on and misplaced, the use of commas--well, you didn't use them effectively.

BUT ... What a fantastic read! The simmering attraction between…I can't do it. Telling you anything more might ruin the delicious surprise. If I could have, I would have given this book a 4.99 rating because the editor...well you know...but gee, I'm serious, The Rosemary Thief by Fiona Law, is just exquisite.

After the second non-paragraph, I just threw my pre-conceived pickiness out the window with a ~who cares~ because The Rosemary Thief is truly the most charming short story I've read in years. I could go on and on about the visual artistry of description, the pungent word choice, the savory rich scenes--sounds like a fantastic meal, huh?

That's what this short story by Fiona Law represents--a virtual feast to the senses. I loved it, I will put it on my keeper list, I will tell all of my friends to buy it, and I know I will reread it often.

No comments: