Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It’s Elementary My Dear Winifred by Miss Mae



It’s Elementary My Dear Winifred by Miss Mae
Publisher: Class Act Books
Genre: Mystery, Historical
Length: Full (174 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Orange Blossom

Schoolmarm Winifred Merryweather guards her identity as the daughter of one of London's most notorious villains. To separate her life from his, she spends her lonely existence with her cat, Theodore, and meets twice monthly at the estate of Lord Nelson Chatham. Losing herself in the pages of a mystery story shivers Winifred's spine – until the day that she’s forced to live through one.

Kidnapped and thrown together into a chaotic adventure, newspaper reporter Remington Hawthorne’s flirtatious charm thaws Winifred’s icy reserve. But can they uncover the meaning of the clues and survive before the tale reaches the page that reads, The End?

If you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes & Professor Moriarty then you can't miss this book. It should be just your cup of tea.

Miss Mae certainly knows how to spin a mystery and drop the clues in exactly the right place at the right time. Outstanding! She throws you directly into the story and before you can catch your breath you're introduced to the hero as he works with the heroine to figure out what's happened to them.

The author's prose is engaging from the first page to the last. It's a real whodunit right from page one. None of the characters know what is going on so the reader is encouraged to come along for the ride as the heroine tries to sort it out.

Winifred really is delightful and Remington dashing. Their interaction is thrilling as you go along to solve the mystery and see if these two will end up together at the conclusion.

I am a total Sherlock Holmes fan and I love that he is referred to as a living person just as Dr. Watson wrote about him. Wait until you find out a certain secret about them. Don't look at me. I'm not telling.

My one complaint is that it seemed as if the hero and heroine fell in love a bit too fast. Almost like love at first sight but not quite. Because the book takes place over such a short period of time there was no build up to the romance. It is a Sherlock Holmes type mystery told in great style. There are several romantic threads, but the mystery was first and foremost.

All the characters are so distinct. I could almost hear the intonation of their voices. I definitely had a visual in my head from the word picture presented by the author. Miss Mae is definitely becoming one of my MUST READ authors. The whole thing was like one of those fun houses at the circus except it wasn't so fun for the characters as doors slide shut, rooms disappear, etc, etc... Who knows what puzzle they’ll have to solve to move on to the conclusion?

Absolutely charming. A must read.



Kindle

15 comments:

Miss Mae said...

Thank you for the fantastic review! :)

Rebecca J Vickery said...

Terrific Miss Mae. Congrats on another great rating. You worked hard and deserve every one.

Becca

lastnerve said...

Excellent review. Very thorough and I loved the word usage. This is an excellent book and the reviewer captured it well.

Margie Church said...

You keep knocking them out of the park, Miss Mae. This is a wonderful book!

Diane Craver said...

I am definitely going to read this book. I'm afraid I haven't had a chance yet but know it will be a great read. I always enjoy your writing so much.

Congrats on your great review!

rosemary said...

I love a good mystery and this story definitely fits the criteria. The Sherlock Holmes mysteries were some of the first books that I read. I will definitely be reading 'It’s Elementary My Dear Winifred'. rosemary

Sharon Donovan said...

Congratulations on a marvelous review, Miss Mae. You're on a roll, girlfriend! Keep 'em coming'.

Sharon

Sharon Donovan
www.sharonadonovan.com

Hywela Lyn said...

What a wonderful review, and so richly deserved!

This is such a unique and compelling read, I'm not surprised it's had rave reviews|!

Laurean Brooks said...

Miss Mae,

You can spin tales faster than I can say "Chocolate Latte." Never a dull moment in your writing. In "Said the Spider to the Fly", I found myself gasping for breath.

Great reveiw! Keep the presses hot, girlfriend.

Laurie

Charlotte Farley said...

HEY GIRL, I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT. YOU FOOLED ME AGAIN. JUST LIKE IN "SEE NO EVIL" I NEVER GUESSED WHO WAS DOING ALL THOSE MEAN THINGS. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO "WHEN THE BOW BREAKS."
CHARLOTTE F

Ladyauthor2b said...

Congrats Miss Mae! Impressive how you get these out so quick! This one sounds really intriguing, so I must get my hands on a copy! :)

Chriss Hill

Margie Church said...

Congrats, Miss Mae. This unique book is a huge hit. Bravo.

Larry Hammersley said...

Miss Mae you have another winner. I am putting this on my list of must reads. After having already read one of your novels I know I'm in for a positive experience when I read this one. Larry

EA said...

What a great review, Lula. Congrats on the success of the story.

Ms. Lucy said...

Hi there! Great review:) I found you through Book blogs..Come check out my site that's filled with histroical fiction and all that's history too. www.enchantedbyjosephine.blogspot.com

Lucy