Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton


Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton
Publisher: Headline
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Length: Full (320 pages)
Heat: Sweet
Rating: 4 Books
Reviewed by Sunflower

When a 38-year-old university professor accidentally crashes his Land Rover into a tree in order to avoid killing a cat, he doesn't expect much sympathy. Certainly not from 27-year-old Mina from the call centre where his accident insurance phone call goes through to. But there's an immediate connection and before long they're talking like old friends. Could it be that, despite the obvious distance between them (he is in Cambridge and she is in Sheffield), they've actually got a lot in common. What's going to happen when they meet?
‘Autocare Direct Motor Insurance. My name is Mina, how may I help you?’

‘I’d like to make a claim, please. That is, I’ve had a bit of an accident. Nothing too bad, but you know how it is with any bodywork, it’s never cheap. So I thought I’d better put in a claim, if that’s OK.’

Meet Mina, a single parent, who works at an auto insurance compnay and Peter, a teacher at Cambridge, who is a widower with twin daughters. Their worlds are far apart, until one day when Peter needs to file a accident claim. The wires get crossed and two people who were so unlikely to meet are drawn to each other and become friends. What could have been just another everyday insurance call turned out to be something wonderful.

What started out as simply speaking to each other weekly on the phone, slowly deepens and their lives move forward. Despite their differences they find they do have things in common. The Romance between Peter and Mina quietly evolves. In everyday situations this story unfolds. The secondary characters of the book, Peter’s twin daughters, Mina’s daughter, along with their friends all make for a delightful afternoon read.

As I read this story I was seeing the characters as real people with everyday happenings. This is a book about everyday people with a everyday lives. People you can relate to, people that could be your neighbors. People busy with their own lives, but in difficult times they turn to their friends.

The cover of the book is what first drew me in and made me want to read it. This is the first I have read of this author, but if this is a indication of her writing I am sure that I will read more of her books. This is a well written book and the characters will stay with you after you have read the book. If you are looking for a well rounded, gentle romance with a touch of humor to it then I recommend this for a great afternoon read

No comments: