Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Married by Mistake by Abby Gaines



Married by Mistake by Abby Gaines
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full (277 pages)
Heat: Sensual
Rating: 4.5 Books
Reviewed by Camellia

Casey Greene, tired of being a pushover to the people she loves, lures her procrastinating fiancĂ© on to a surprise wedding TV show—so she has only herself to blame when he jilts her in front of millions of viewers. Cynical TV station owner Adam Carmichael is an unlikely rescuer, but his plan for a fake wedding is the only way for Casey to avoid total humiliation and Adam’s company to hang on to a valued sponsor. But when a quirk of Tennessee law makes their marriage legit, things go from bad to worse….

Emotional blackmail, in differing ways, has ruled both Casey Greene’s and Adam Carmichael’s lives for years. After the fiasco on a TV program, they find themselves needing a plan. Their plan proves to be full of pitfalls as they conspire to outfox everyone while they have a month of pure “selfishness.”

Casey’s family, friends, boyfriend, church, and every “do-gooder” program in Parkvale depend on her to “do” for them. When she decides to break free of them, she learns some startling things about herself. She also discovers being needed is seductive and NOT being needed feels like withdrawal of love.

Her not-too-well-thought-out idea and Adam’s desperate drive to divert a disaster from his family’s business dumps the two of them together for the entire world to see on TV. OH, what a tangled web they weave as they deceive!

Adam, Memphis’ most eligible bachelor, subconsciously needs to prove to himself that he is worthy of his dead father’s love that was always withheld. Consequently, he made the family business a resounding success. However, when Casey comes along, she breaks his concentration on just business.

Abby Gaines has a light touch and delightful writing style that invites the reader to share in a life-changing adventure with Casey, Adam, and some interesting secondary characters. She creates sub-plots that add humor and moments of new self-awareness for many of the characters.

Married by Mistake surely qualifies as a Super Romance—most enjoyable.



21 comments:

Maureen said...

I have never read a book by this author but this review is highlighting a story that I think I would really enjoy.
mce1011[at]aol[dot]com

rosemary said...

This sounds like a great fun story that will put a smile on your face. I can hardly wait to read it.

jenesparza said...

I think I would really like this book. Seems like it would have alot of laugh out loud moments.

Karen H in NC said...

Abby is a new-to-me author. From the sound of this review, I'd like the opportunity to read her work.

Judy said...

This read really sounds like it would be very enjoyable. I have never read her work either. I will check her out.

CrystalGB said...

Sounds great. I would love to read it.

Keira of LoveRomancePassion said...

Ooo looks good and I love the title because it's so silly. Married by mistake is like getting pregnant by yourself.

Jane said...

It's been a while since I read a Super Romance.

chey said...

Sounds like a fun read! I would love to read Married by Mistake.

RachieG said...

How cute does this book look? I don't watch those dating shows, but even I can feel the pain of being jilted..Ugh, wouldn't that be terrible?

Please count me in!

rachie2004 AT yahoo.com

bison61 said...

the review sounded good-I'd love to read it!

tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

catslady said...

I've enjoyed superromances in the past and this one sounds like a good one :)

Colette said...

This sounds like a great summer read! I can't wait to read it...

robynl said...

I love humor in books and this promises some humor. It will undoubtedly be a great read.

Abby Gaines said...

Hi Camellia
glad you enjoyed the book! I had a lot of fun writing it. FYI, Adam and Casey, plus Sam and Eloise, made a reappearance in my book The Groom Came Back, which was out in January.
best wishes
Abby

Estella said...

Sounds like a great read. I like humor in stories.

Debby said...

This one sounds like a fun read. I lvoe when there is some humor/

debby236 @ att.net

Kytaira said...

This book sounds like alot of fun. I love marriage of convenience stories. And this one sounds so timely with a contestant getting dumped on a reality show!

lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

Virginia said...

I have never read a book by this author before, sounds like an interesting read!

MarthaE said...

Sounds like they got into quite a fix. It sounds like a fun read.
meseads[at]gmail.com

tetewa said...

A new author for me, count me in!