Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 18, 2009

In Over Her Head by Judi Fennell



In Over Her Head by Judi Fennell
Publisher: Sourcebooks Inc.
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Full Length (347 pgs)
Heat Level: Spicy
Rating: 4.5 Books
Review by Hibiscus

To spend her life with him, she'll have to face her greatest fear...

Erica Peck thought she'd never have to go into the water again. After all, there's plenty to do running her family's marina from shore without having to dive in herself. But then her unstable ex-fiance shows up with a gun and demands her help in finding a bag of rare jewels she accidentally tossed into the ocean.

Unable to find them, bleeding from a grazing gunshot wound and running out of oxygen fast, she has no choice but to give herself up to the mercy of the sea. Rescued from the water and the sharks by a gorgeous merman named Reel, Erica quickly finds herself falling head over fins in love with him. And when Reel risks his life to save hers, she discovers that she doesn't want to live without him, no matter the consequences. But can they ever find a way to be together when she still can't stand the water and he can't survive on land?

I truly found a pearl in my oyster when I read this delightful tale. This is Judi Fennell’s first book and I can say that I was surprised how good of a book In Over Her Head is. It is extremely well-written, the storyline flows and I was hooked from the first page.

Erica Peck is a very likable character. In my humble opinion, she is the perfect mix of weak woman and strong heroine. After being shot by her ex-fiancĂ©, almost eaten by a shark, drowned and this is all in the first chapter; things take an interesting twist for Erica. Enter Reel Tritone. Erica is destined for Reel from the time she was little but she just doesn’t realize it.

Reel Tritone is a gorgeous hunk who kept pulling on my heartstrings. I felt so bad for him when everyone referred to him as the Spare and looked at him as a worthless ne’er-do-well. Reel has been fascinated by Erica ever since he was little. He is “The Incident” that happened to her. Reel shows how much he cares for Erica from the beginning when he flouts the rules of the Council by saving Erica.

I enjoyed reading about all the minor characters. Each had well defined traits that made them unique from any other character in the story. I was able to visualize each and everyone along with their mannerisms as they came and went throughout the story. There were also a lot of cute names, such as Rod, Reel’s brother and Fisher, Reel’s father in the book.

The story is a fascinating look at life under the sea. Ms. Fennell’s descriptions were so vivid, I felt that I was swimming along with Erica and Reel as they traveled the Atlantic and Caribbean in their mission to recover the stolen jewels and stay alive. Think of the colors and excitement of Disney’s Little Mermaid and then make it for adults.

In case I did not mention it, this is Ms. Fennell’s first book and I can’t wait to read her next book in this fanciful series. In Over Her Head is an aquatic wonderland that will have you wanting to explore under the sea for a merman of your very own.

2 comments:

Judi Fennell said...

Thank you so much for such a nice review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

jenniferloy said...

Judi,
I'm right behind you in the voting so I read your review and your book sounds absolutely awesome. And we have some interests in common. Mermen! I love them..lol check out my website www.jenniferloy.com my book Shoreline releases in July. Oh and I'm on my way to buy your book!
Jennifer Loy