Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Turning Thirty Twelve by Sandy James

Turning Thirty-Twelve by Sandy James
Publisher: Siren BookStrand
Genre: Contemporary
Length: Full (288 pages)
Heat: Spicy
Rating: Best Book
Reviewed by Violet

Jackie Delgado didn't want a new man in her life until a dreaded blind date turns out to be more exciting than she'd ever imagined.

When her youngest son leaves for college, Jackie is hit hard by empty nest syndrome and pours herself into her work as a teacher. Bowing to pressure from friends, Jackie agrees to a blind date. But when Mark Brennan calls, she realizes the date won't be "blind." He's the father of one of her students.

Widower Mark Brennan isn't looking for love. After only a few dates with Jackie, he realizes he's quickly forming deep feelings for her. Wracked with guilt that he's "abandoning" his late wife, Mark resists the pull toward dynamic Jackie. When Mark's daughter begins to date Jackie's son, things become more complicated.

Can Jackie and Mark find the courage to leave the past behind and embrace a new love? And how will Mark's daughter's pregnancy affect all their lives?

Jackie had gone through a divorce that left her self esteem shattered and her best friends constantly trying to set her up on blind dates. Mark's wife had died of cancer two years earlier and his friends were also hoping for a Cupid to strike up a relationship with the next woman of his dreams. Both Jackie and Mark have children from their previous relationships and now, my friends, it's time to watch the fireworks.

Jackie was hilarious, captivating and had issues with trusting men. So many women, including me, can relate to Jackie's character. Mark's character was seductive at just the right moments, knew what to say and just when to say it. His overall character was stunning and very very real. The secondary characters in this book were sensational. The situations between David (the ex) and Jackie had me laughing till it hurt. They all added a very real element to the book with their emotions and the way situations were handled.

When Jackie and Mark's character got around each other, it was electric and you could feel the sexual tension between the two. This was a very believable book and was written in such a way that during the tense moments, it ripped my heart out. During the happy moments, I found tears in my eyes.

Ms. James did an outstanding job writing Turning Thirty-Twelve. I most definitely did not see the twists and turns coming. This book grabbed a hold of my heart and did not let go until the very last page. I still find myself thinking of this book and the characters who made this book so special. I highly recommend Turning Thirty-Twelve to anyone who enjoys a laugh out loud, exceptionally written book that will keep you coming back for more. I would love to see this book either have a sequel or become a series so I can see where my favorite characters are today and how they are faring. Turning Thirty-Twelve was simply an amazing book that I would read many times over which is why I would like to give it the LASR Best Book Rating! I will most certainly be keeping my eye on Ms. James for any books she may have coming out.


Sandy James said...

What a beautiful review! I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

lainey bancroft said...

Hooray, Sandy!

Excellent review, Violet! I couldn't agree with you more. And we're lucky. Sandy is very prolific. She already has the first book of her Damaged Heroes series available, "Murphy's Law" and the second book in the series comes out April 7th. I've already pre-ordered it! =)

lastnerve said...

You are more than welcome for the review, I LOVED LOVED LOVED THE BOOK! It was amazing and I still think about the book. You are a wonderful writer. I have been looking forward to reading Murphy's Law and can't wait, I know it will be an exciting read.

Robin Haseltine said...

Wonderful review for a wonderful author. Congrats, Sandy!!!

Bethany Michaels said...

It really is a fabulous book--something women of any age will enjoy!


Ellen said...

Congrats, Sandy! A fabulous review for a likewise fabulous author!!!

Judythe Morgan said...

Great reveiw, Sandy. Congrats!

Sandy James said...

Thanks again, Violet! You wrote a beautiful review! And thanks for all the support and great comments! I feel truly blessed. :-)

Dara England said...

Congrats Sandy! :)

Sandy James said...

Thanks, Dara! And thanks to everyone who voted to make Turning Thirty-Twelve the book of the week!

Dena said...

Great review, sounds like a really good story.


Love the title. Love the cover.

robynl said...

as stated this book is a must for me b/c it grabs hold of the heart and it has laughable moments also. this is my kind of read.

Please enter me and thanks.