Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Love Finds You in Humble, Texas by Anita Higman



Love Finds You in Humble, Texas by Anita Higman
Publisher: Summerside Press
Genre: Inspirational; Contemporary
Length: Full (318 pages)
Heat: sweet
Rating: Best Book
Reviewed by Orange Blossom

Trudie Abernathy is a little inelegant, and she’s never had much luck in love. To make matters worse, her thirtieth birthday is fast approaching and her sister, Lane, has decided to treat her to a makeover and a blind date. Trudie is about to protest, but then she meets the kind and devastatingly handsome Mason Wimberley. In spite of Trudie’s humble manner, Mason finds her attractive, funny and smart. But there’s one obstacle in the way of the budding romance: Lane suddenly decides she’s in love with Mason! Trudie has never been one to complete with her glamorous sister, even when it means giving up the things she wants. Will she be able to stay true to her humble self and find her hearts desire in the process?

‘Prepare to be romanced, Miss Abernathy.’ Can it get more romantic than that??

As I’ve already read two of the books in Summerside Press’ Love Finds You series, I really looked forward to reviewing this latest installment. And what a treat it was! Summerside Press is a new publisher in the Inspirational market and they truly are going to excel with the level of talented authors who have hopped on board.

Love Finds You in Humble, Texas is a book I won’t soon forget. It contains a fun, humorous tone. I love to laugh and I had many occasions to do so while reading this book. Humorous yet it touched on several serious and heart rending subjects. It’s all about being humble in Love Find You in Humble, Texas. And you’ll continue to see that theme throughout the book.

Trudie Abernathy has many problems as the story opens—the most obvious one being her lack of faith in herself. Or maybe even in God to give her the desires of her heart. She is content or perhaps resigned to the state of her life as her 30th birthday rolls around—especially compared to her successful, outgoing and attractive younger sister. Then she meets Mason Wimberley and her whole world got turned upside down.

I loved the sarcastic wit and ‘voice’ of Trudie. I related to her right off the bat. She even referred to herself as ‘Jane Eyre-ish’ and that opened up a whole window into the mental outlook of the heroine for me. I enjoyed that we were able to get into her head on a very personal level. Trudie was quite the diva as a teen when she became an overnight artistic phenom. And she has been punishing herself for it ever since as she believed her lack of humility led to tragedy in her family.

What a dream Mason Wimberley is! Handsome, intelligent, kind, and even vulnerable in his feelings for the heroine. Oh, and he is compared to Superman-my favorite Superhero. Mention Clark Kent and I’m a goner. Mason is a very romantic suitor. Romantic to the point that he will touch your heart and maybe even bring you to tears. The kind of man who would say:

‘Prepare yourself, Miss Abernathy.’
‘For what?’ she asks.
‘To be romanced,’ he replies.


Oh, be still my heart!

Ms.Higman is an impeccable writer. The words just seem to disappear and it is like you enter physically into the story. Great flow of words that kept me reading. I plowed through it in two days. I just couldn’t stop reading. The characters dragged me into their story and I had to know what would happen next.

Love Finds You in Humble, Texas definitely stays on my keeper shelf. It is definitely one that I’ll tell friends about. It is definitely one I’ll read again. An Absolutely Outstanding Read!

4 comments:

cheryl c said...

Wonderful review! I have also enjoyed other Love Finds You books, and this one sounds like another winner.

robynl said...

the book has humorous accounts and serious accounts in it; what more could you ask for. I'm in for reading this book.

Dena said...

I haven't read a inspirational in a while and this book sounds really great.

Merwan said...

Really want to check this one out!