Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Pirate Bride by Shannon Drake



The Pirate Bride by Shannon Drake
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Historical; Action/Adventure
Length: Full
Heat: Spicy
Rating: 4 books
Reviewed by Hibiscus

Those who survive the wrath of Red Robert would never guess the pirate's secret—Red Robert is a woman, masquerading as a man. Yet though the swift steel of her sword has spread her reputation to the farthest corners of the map, there is only one treasure she seeks—the blood of her lifelong nemesis…Blair Colm.

Shipwrecked on a desert isle with the handsome Logan Hagarty, she soon rediscovers her femininity in the irresistible captain's arms. But their paradise skies darken with the appearance of their common enemy. Now the two must summon all their strength and cunning to best the evil Colm, and protect the fierce love that has grown between them.

I enjoyed the story of The Pirate Bride. I found it to have a unique twist on the standard pirate tale. Red Robert, A.K.A Roberta, is a female who became a pirate by accident. She is well protected by not only her cousin and men but also by Edward Teech. Red has only one goal in life and that is to gain revenge on Blair Colm. I found Red to be a very strong woman. I saw how she led her men on the ship and fought just as hard as any of her men. She put up a fearless front and very few knew that Red Robert was a woman. She inspired fierce loyalty as was shown by her secret being kept for as long as it was.

Laird Logan Hagarty has his own reasons for wanting revenge on Blair Colm and has been slowly working on giving it. Logan is a knowledgeable man with friends on all sides. When his ship was captured, he knew to ask for a one on one fight with the pirate captain. He also has dealings with Blackbeard. Logan is courting the Lady Cassandra and her father holds some power in the proper circles. They play a small part in the latter half of the story. I could tell that Logan knew that Red was not a man by the subtle way he kept inquiring about her. I loved that Logan saves Red several times in the story.

The time they spent on the island cemented the bond between Roberta and Logan. Their conversations were suggestive and when they get together, the flames were not just in the fire.

The story is predictable but there are a few surprises in the book. I enjoyed The Pirate Bride and found it to be an easy, feel-good read.

21 comments:

Maureen said...

I do like pirate stories and this looks like a good one.
mce1011[at]aol[dot]com

rosemary said...

It has been a long time since I've read a good pirate story, but I can see that is going to change once I read this book. It is on my TBR list.

rosemary

Tamsyn said...

I love a good pirate story and The Pirate Bride sounds like a good read. I would love to learn more about the characters and how the story goes. Tamsyn

april3025 said...

sounds great :)

RachieG said...

I <3 a great pirate story....Whenever I read them, I automatically think of Johnny Depp...:) bliss!

Please count me in! :) Thanks!

CrystalGB said...

Sounds great. I love pirate stories. :)

chey said...

The Pirate Bride sounds like a book I want to read!

Cheri2628 said...

I love a good pirate story, and how unique that this pirate is a woman! This sounds like a fun story. I am interested to read how she masquerades as a man and how the hero discovers that she is a woman.

Cheryl/Cheri

tetewa said...

I haven't read a good pirate story for awhile, sounds good!

Karen H in NC said...

Use to read pirate themed books all the time but haven't read a good one for quite some time. This one looks pretty good. Will be adding it to my BTB list.

kkhaas

Virginia said...

I do like pirate stories and I haven't read one for a while. Great review, I believe I would enjoy this one.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

robynl said...

what a secret; Red Robert is a woman. What an interesting twist to the story.

Jane said...

I'm a fan of Heather Graham's books, but I've never read any of her stories written under Shannon Drake.

Estella said...

I enjoy pirate stories, and I haven;t read a good in a while.

kissinoak@verizon.net

catslady said...

Oh, I would just love this book!

catslady5@aol.com

tigger9 said...

Looks like a great book.
lexeetoste@sbcglobal.net

Debby said...

I love pirate books.

Debby said...

oops debby236 @ att . net

Toystory said...

Love Pirate tales. Thanks 1prizewinner(at) gmail (dot) com.

Kytaira said...

The Pirate Bride sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review!
lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

MarthaE said...

A female pirate - sounds fun! mesreads[at]gmail[dot]com