Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Up In Smoke



Up In Smoke by Katie MacAlister
Publisher: New American Library
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal
Length: Full
Heat Level: Spicy
Rating: Best Book
Review by Hibiscus

Though May Northcott's heart belongs to Gabriel Tauhou, leader of the silver dragons, being stuck in Abaddon has significantly cooled down her love life--especially since a demon lord is trying to woo her. So far, May has resisted his efforts, but it's getting increasingly harder to thwart disaster.

So May is shocked when Gabriel encourages her to give in to the demon prince. But her fire-breathing boyfriend has an ulterior motive. Since May was created in the mortal world, her surrender would give her master access to that world, where he would lose most of his powers.

It looks as though May will have to barter to gain her freedom and fulfill her destiny by Gabriel's side. But will a deal with the devil make life heaven or hell?

I just loved this second story of the silver dragons. There are demons, dragons and a doppelganger along with guardians, naiads and Neptune. There are so many things going on in this story including murder, I was unable to put the book down until I was done. This is the sixth book in the Aisling Grey/Dragon Series. You don't have to read previous books to understand the story but after enjoying this one, a reader may want to savor previous stories.

May Northcott is a doppelganger and the sensible twin sister of Cyrene who is a naiad. I really like the character of May. She isn't afraid to say what she is thinking and is very protective of her sister. May was forced to remain with Magoth in Abbadon after going debunk in the last book but wants to be with her mate Gabriel. They are able to figure out a plan for May to get out but they release Magoth on the earth. I felt that this was no real big deal at the beginning of the story as there are things more dangerous going on. I love how May becomes the Northcott Phylactery. I could feel her struggle to accept what has happened to her and her fight to gain control of everything. It is cute how the joke of burning down hotels is carried from the last book and continues throughout this story.

Gabriel Tauhou is one sexy silver dragon. He is the healer and his talents are used throughout this book. I thought it was great when Gabriel was trying to help Aisling when she had a pain and Drake was jealous of him and kept saying Gabriel could not deliver the baby, even though Aisling was not having the baby. It reminded me of an I Love Lucy episode when everyone wants to help but no one is doing anything. I could see how much Gabriel loved May in everything he did for her-- from when he helped find a way to have her with him at the beginning to every touch he gave her. The love between them burned not only places in the books but I could feel the heat sizzling on the pages of the story.

There are dragon septs being taken over, and supposed dead dragons are possibly alive. Two red dragon heads, two blue dragon heads and even a white? There is so much action going on in the different septs and I loved reading every piece I could about them. A few new characters are introduced and I hope to read more about them in later books.

Ms. MacAlister writes an action filled romance that takes place on earth, in Abbadon and even the shadow world. Once again, there is a cliffhanger on the end and I am left with so many unanswered questions about my favorite characters. I can only hope that many more books about the dragons and Aisling are coming soon. I loved reading Up In Smoke and highly recommend it for everyone.

No comments: