Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review: Vampire Interrupted

Vampire Interrupted
By Lynsay Sands

IT WAS A CASE SHE COULD SINK HER TEETH INTO . . .
After seven hundred years of life, Marguerite Argeneau finally has a career. Well, the start of one, anyway. She’s training to be a private investigator, and her first assignment is to find an immortal’s mother. It seemed simple enough, until Marguerite wakes up one evening to find herself at the wrong end of a sword. Now she realizes she’s in way over her head.

Julius Notte wants to protect Marguerite, and not because someone just tried to take her head off. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s his lifemate and he’s determined to woo her. It’s been over five hundred years since he last courted a woman, but surely the techniques haven’t changed. Now if only he can keep her alive – so to speak – so they can have that happily-ever-after.

If you love the family feeling of a series, then Vampire Interrupted has more than its share during this exciting and long awaited tale. If you've been reading the Argeneau series then you know about Marguerite. She's a loving mom who wants to make certain her entire family is happy -- and happily married. She works her maternal matchmaking magic with a pinch of this and a tweak of that and manages to work little miracles without anyone the wiser - well, almost.

I've often felt that she, who suffered so much for so long and who has so much love to give but was stuck in a 700-year-long miserable marriage, should get her chance at being happy, too. Lynsay Sands has finally delivered not only Marguerite's HEA but an action-packed, well-written, romantic and eye opening story that will astound avid Argeneau followers. The crux of the plot is that someone does not want Marguerite to succeed in her first case - and will do anything, including murder, to stop her. Or so I was led to believe.

Once again, the author has written a story which includes a cast of secondary characters that enhance, enrich and embrace the main hero and heroine dynamic. I enjoyed every suspenseful twist and turn and marvelled at Ms. Sands' ability to make me sympathize with a character that up until this book had been villified. She also suprised me with a villain that not only took Marguerite by suprise but me, too. I never suspected the culprit behind the attacks on Marguerite.

I think you'll fall in love with Julius Notte. Not only did I like him because he was the one who will ultimately make Marguerite happy as her life mate, but I fell in love with his story. The author had us get to know him little by little, just like in real life. First there is the first impression, which was actually pretty funny, then as the clues are revealed, Julius' character gets more depth and emotion. I couldn't help but like him. Marguerite couldn't help but love him.
Just wait until you find out about the background of Christian Notte, Julius' son. You may shed a tear or two because of it. I know I was horrified on his behalf and his story made the HEA of Vampire Interrupted even more poignant and special.

My favorite part is when a bunch of the Argeneau family catches up and the sleuthing begins in earnest. The dialogue, the cameraderie, the tension and the sensual awareness between Julius and Marguerite all came together and brought me one of the best stories of the Argeneau family to date. And that's saying something.

The best thing? I was left with an excited feeling that there is more matchmaking ahead for the exteneded Argeneau family. You know what else I am excited about? The hint that Julius and Marguerite might have ... *grin*, nope , you have to read the story for that bit of good news. That's my own bit of an "interruption".

Don't be surprised if you can't stop reading Vampire Interrupted until you turn the last page. It's that good.

Rating

Reviewed by Xeranthemum

6 comments:

Meljprincess said...

I can't wait to read this book! I've enjoyed every book I've read by Lynsay. I'd like to recommend SINGLE WHITE VAMPIRE. It was well written and funny. I'd like to meet Lynsay. I'll bet she's nice and I know she has a great sense of humor.

Melissa K.
Meljprincess @ aol dot com

Pam P said...

Mel, I have to agree, SWV was my favorite of the series, so far, but then I'm just waiting for this one to come in the mail, so who knows. I always enjoy Lynsays humor in her stories, both the vamps and her historicals. Also recommend those duets she does with Hannah Howell, about a Scots clan of vamps.

Estella said...

I have read Sands previous vampire books and this one is in my TBR pile.

Meljprincess said...

Yes, Pam. I have one or two of those duet books. I'll take a Scotsman who bites anyday! lol!

Melissa

Sue A. said...

This series sounds great!

~Linda~ said...

The Argeneaus are my favorite series!!! SWV has been my favorite up to now..... But I have to say MS Sands has out done herself!!! I love love love Vampire Interrupted!

I have now gotten the Highland Vamps in my TBR pile... woot