Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Review: Calamity Jayne Goes to College

Calamity Jayne Goes to College
by Kathleen Bacus

Back in college for the fourth time, reporter Tressa Jayne Turner finds her quest for higher education thwarted by a new mystery, a campus criminal, a crazy roommate, a botched betrothal, and a hot guy who wants to save her from herself.

This is the fourth installment in the Tressa Jayne Turner Mystery series, but it's my first encounter with this spunky cub reporter/amateur detective. It will not be my last! I'm looking forward to catching up with what has happened before and, also, the upcoming books.

Not only does Kathleen Bacus bring Tressa Jayne (or "Calamity Jayne", as she is dubbed) to life, in all her blondeness, but she also "blesses" her with multiple men in her life. What is a girl to do?

In Tressa's case, get into a load of trouble while solving the mystery in good old Ellery Queen style. All the clues are there for the savvy reader to discover, but (in this reader's case, anyway) they are subtle enough that the villain is not revealed too soon.

The mystery and suspense is lightened by the humor Kathleen Bacus brings to play in the interactions between Tressa and the other characters. I read some of it to my husband and he laughed so hard as some of the situations they found themselves in, he almost had to pull off the road.

If you enjoy a mystery with a bit of humor thrown in, this is a book for you.



Reviewed by Rose

ENTER TO WIN A GENTLY USED COPY OF THIS BOOK -- JUST LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS POST BETWEEN 12/31/07 - 1/5/08-- DRAWING TO BE HELD ON 1/6/08. GOOD LUCK!

NOTE: If you have a private Blogger profile with no email address available, you must include an email in your entry -- this is how we inform the winner. If we are unable to locate an email for you, you're ineligible to win this prize. Thanks!

24 comments:

Estella said...

I read the book preceding this one and can't wait to see what Calamity is up to now.

V. said...

Sounds like a cozy little series. I don't know how I missed it, but I have some catching up to do!

Karen H in NC said...

Sounds like a quick, fun read.

byrd_luvr @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

Maureen said...

This story sounds like fun.

mce1011[at]aol.com

tetewa said...

This sounds like a fun series! Count me in. tWarner419@aol.com

Kathy Bacus said...

Wow, thanks for the glowing review of my book, Rose! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Hope you get a kick out of the others, as well. The sixth book won't be out until fall of '08, but in the meantime I'll have a romantic comedy out in late April. It's titled FIANCE AT HER FINGERTIPS and is a romance that's way out of the box...

Thanks again for the kind review!

~Kathleen Bacus~

Nathalie said...

Looks fun... thanks!

Lily said...

I have read some of this series... and Loved it!

His Kathy... thanks for coming here!

anne said...

It would be an entertaining book which I would enjoy.

windycindy said...

Happy New Year! Please enter me in your contest for this book. Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

jenna said...

Great book which is cute and unique.

Jennifer Y. said...

I haven't read this series yet. It sounds like a good read though.

Dev said...

This sounds cute ~ I'd like to read the whole series.

Dru said...

I've read this book and it is quite enjoyable.

Happy reader said...

Would love to win a copy of this - but that would mean I would need to buy the first....the sacrfices...it's all good.

BethRe said...

sounds like a relaxing read

Mert said...

Sounds like a great read to me... I love mystery and humor!

My email is

kitty752732 at yahoo dot com

Cathy said...

This is a new author for me, but I enjoy a mystery storyline with humor.

diane said...

An author whose books always provide me with pleasure and fun.

pearl said...

This book and author is someone whom I have read about and would enjoy reading.

Sue A. said...

Sounds like a fun book!

Dena said...

I've never heard of this author either. It sounds like a really good book,and I love mysteries where theres some humor.

V. said...

Sounds very humorous! I'll give this series a try!

Meljprincess said...

I've read two of the "Calamity Jayne's" and both were excellent. I'd love to win and read this one! Thanks.

Melissa Keith
Meljprincess at aol dot com